Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

Warning — This chapter is nearly all fluff — sweet and fluffy like cotton candy.   You might have a desire to brush your teeth after reading it.

 

-xox-XOX-XOX-xox-

 Chapter 6, A Year in Mexico, Part 1

Ron’s eyes bugged out as he gaped at Hermione’s engagement ring.  She and Harry had been to Gringotts first thing after they got back that morning, and to their delight, Harry had been able to enter the Potter family vault, even though it was not July 31 yet.  Apparently the vault’s wards recognized that he was actually a year older than the calendar indicated, due to his year of using the time turner.  There they found what Hermione regarded as the perfect engagement ring.  It had been the one James gave Lily and was a large diamond flanked by smaller twin emeralds.  There was a note with it that said James had picked out that design because the emeralds reminded him of Lily’s eyes.  Of course, to Hermione they reminded her of Harry’s eyes.  It was also meaningful to her because Lily had been a muggleborn and had been a lot like Hermione in many other ways as well.

Finally, Ron regained his senses.  “So, mate, how did she finally get through to you?”  Harry shared a knowing smile with Hermione and responded.  “Well, seeing her in a bikini was a good start.”  This brought another confused look to Ron’s face.

Hermione tried to explain.  “It’s a type of muggle swimming costume, Ron.”  This caused his confusion to clear up somewhat.

“Oh, I know what you mean.  Yeah, those swimming costumes look pretty good, don’t they?  Especially when they’re wet.  I remember when Fleur came out of the lake after the second task …”  Harry and Hermione shared another look.  He really didn’t have a clue.

“How about if we show him what we mean?” suggested Harry.  Hermione was reluctant to expose herself to Ron in that way, but part of her wanted him to see what he was missing.  “I could transfigure what you’re wearing if you like,” he offered, with a gleam in his eye.

Hermione rolled her eyes and punched him lightly.  “I’d better do it.  You’re likely to forget the top.”  Again, their eyes exchanged a shared memory.  A flick of her wand and her shirt became a bikini top, another flick and she was wearing the matching bottoms.  Harry noted that it was relatively modest for a bikini, not at all like the suits she had been wearing during their trip.  For his part, Ron would have been impressed by the casual non-verbal spell, were it not for the girl on display before him.

“Hermione!” he yelled.  You’re practically starkers!”  He darted a nervous look at Harry, fearing that he would take exception to his mate seeing his fiancée so exposed.  When Harry only grinned, he chanced another look at the girl he would never again think of as ‘one of the guys’.  “Bloody hell, Ginny’s underwear covers up more than that!”  Harry and Hermione’s eyes caught each other again, with Harry giving a small shake of his head to convey the message that no, he had no personal knowledge of Ginny’s underwear.  Before they could ask Ron just how it was that he was so familiar with his sister’s undergarments he continued.  “Merlin, that looks more like what Lavender wears.”  At this proclamation he suddenly realized what he had just revealed and he turned bright red and looked away from Hermione, not willing to look her in the eye after blurting that out. 

Having shared a room with both of the girls mentioned, Hermione knew that Ron’s pronouncement was quite accurate.  Molly would never let Ginny wear the kind of bras and knickers that Lavender favored.  Ron’s consternation gave Hermione an opportunity to transfigure her clothing back while Harry burst out laughing at his flustered best mate.  Hermione couldn’t help her own broad smile.  While the revelation of how far Ron’s relationship with Lavender had gone would have greatly bothered her once, those days were far behind her.

Once everyone had settled down, Ron still wanted to know the story of how his two best friends came to be engaged.  In response, Hermione pulled a notebook out of her pack and began flipping through the pages.  Noticing the puzzled look on Ron’s face Hermione remembered that he couldn’t see the notebook.  “Ron, I’m looking through the notebook that Harry put the Fidelius charm on,” she informed him.  It’s now my journal in which I recorded everything we did.”  Even though Harry was in on the secret, she decided that at least for now, Ron had no need to be able to read her journal. 

Once Ron had been told what was going on, he still couldn’t see what her hands were doing, but at least now he understood why.  Then he groaned and declared, “Only Hermione Granger would keep notes on how she got a bloke to fall in love with her.”

“Hush Ron,” she chided in amusement.  “That’s not the only thing I kept a journal for.  What with repeating the same weeks so many times, we would have gone mad if we didn’t keep track of exactly what we had done when.”  She shared another smile with Harry as she added, “It may have been the most important thing, though.”

“Before you get started, how about if we find a more private place,” Harry suggested.  As the trio started walking around the house Hermione heard a movement in the bushes by the front walk.  Glancing quickly over at Harry, she saw that he had heard it too.  After a moment’s thought they relaxed and shared a brief nod and Hermione noted the time.  Ron led them around to the back of the Burrow and out past the shed in which the Weasleys kept their brooms for quidditch and the three made themselves comfortable on the ground.  Harry sat up against a tree with Hermione in front of him, leaning back into his arms, while Ron sat cross-legged facing them, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and his chin in his hands.

-oooOOOooo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 1, Day 1

We got off to a bit of an awkward start this evening. First we had this long conversation out on the balcony …

Then, when we were ready to turn in, I conjured a screen to go between the two beds, as we had agreed.  It’s just like the ones Madame Pomfrey conjures in the Hospital Wing, and I’ve watched her do it often enough.  So, we went to our respective sides and started to undress.  I had removed my blouse (I was wearing a camisole style tank top with it) and had just unzipped my skirt and stepped out of it when I heard a gasp and choking noises from Harry’s side.  I grabbed my wand from the nightstand and spun around, but then I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye and realized what had happened.  There was a large mirror on the opposite wall over the dressing table.  I could see right into Harry’s side and he could see into mine!   He was standing there with his mouth open, staring at me in my camisole and knickers.  (Good thing I hadn’t taken the camisole off, there was nothing under it!)  When he saw me looking at him (and he was looking pretty fine himself, having removed everything but his briefs) he went bright red and turned away.

Well, first I took care of the mirror.  I used a charm on it that made it opaque.  I’ll have to remove it every morning and put it back up every night.  Then I walked around the screen to confront Harry.   The poor boy couldn’t stop apologizing.  I told him to turn around and look at me.  I pointed out that this wasn’t that much different than seeing me in a bikini, and it actually covered up more than a bikini would, and what he was wearing wasn’t that much different than what I would see him in on the beach.  I explained that we’re going to be sharing a room for this trip and we can’t be bothered if we get a glimpse of each other’s underwear.  I finally got him to agree with me and he relaxed a bit.  I finished by giving him a hug and even got him to hug me back.  He even loosened up enough to joke about this being the first time he had ever hugged a girl in her underwear.

I’m cautiously optimistic that this is going to work.

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 1, Day 3

I got up my courage to hold Harry’s hand while we were walking out to the beach this afternoon.  (We’d practiced spells all morning, and decided to do our afternoon studying on the beach.)  When he noticed he gave me a questioning glance but I just smiled back and shrugged.  We are supposed to be here as a couple after all.  But he took my hand on the way back!

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 1, Day 7

This has been a successful week so far.  My new bikini has definitely got his attention.  The bottom has string tie sides and the front covers very little.  Actually, the back covers very little, too.  And the top has the smallest triangles I’ve ever had on a bikini – well, since I started to develop at least.  Even better is the fact that I brought along several of this style.  (evil grin!) This one is mint green and the color suits me very well.  (Cool color pastels generally look best on me – and black, but I’m going to wait until I have a better tan to wear my black one.)  I saw a very cute white one in a shop here, but I need to be really tan for white to look good on me.  Plus, it wasn’t lined and Harry’s definitely not ready to see me in a wet, white, unlined bikini.

I’m almost certain that he looks at me as much as he looks at all the other girls.  And there are some real knockouts here. The only way I could see a bikini bottom being any smaller than mine was if I wore a thong.  There are a couple girls here with them and they look really cute.  I’m not sure I’m brave enough, though.  One step at a time.

 I’ve also got him trained with the sunscreen already.  As soon as we get to the beach or pool and I lie down he’s right there spreading it on my back.  The first day he freaked out when I untied the strings to my top while I was lying on my stomach, but he’s used to it now.

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 2, Day 2

Harry has gotten up the courage to start wearing the brief swimsuits I got for him.  There are plenty of other guys here who wear them so he decided he wouldn’t feel too self-conscious about it.  None of the other guys look as good in them as Harry does, though!  I’ve overheard some other girls talking about them.  The American girls call these suits Speedos even if they’re actually a different brand.  Mostly they complain that the older guys shouldn’t be wearing them, but they’re sure not complaining about Harry.  He’s also wearing his contact lenses nearly all the time now, so his gorgeous green eyes are more prominent than ever.   Eat your hearts out girls, he’s mine!

Harry’s noticed the looks some of these girls give him, and it makes him stay closer to me when we’re out at the beach or pool.  I’m certainly not complaining about that!

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 3, Day 6

Living with Harry has gone so much better than I had dared to hope.  We get along so well together.  We’ve become very comfortable teasing each other and laughing about it instead of getting upset.  (That’s something I often had problems doing with Ron.)  Even when we disagree we discuss it respectfully until one or the other of us is convinced.  And the best thing is that it isn’t always the same one who gives in.  Even if this doesn’t go any farther, at least I’ve got my best friend back!  (But we get on so well together, I could live with him the rest of my life, if only he could see it that way!)

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 5, Day 4

Harry has noticed that there are a few women at each resort we stay at that sunbathe topless.  There are about half a dozen this week.  After giving them a suitably close inspection (although not more noticeably than any healthy male would) he asked me what I thought of the practice.  I reminded him of my parents’ sunbathing habits, and that I was perfectly comfortable doing it myself.  I pointed out to him that my mum was probably topless on a beach right now.  (I didn’t say this, but not only is she topless but we might even be on the beach next to her.  This time thing is really freaky.  To think that there are at least a dozen other Harry and Hermiones all along this beach at the same time is mind boggling.)  Anyway, to get back to his question – I also let him know that I didn’t want to make him uncomfortable, so I wouldn’t take my top off unless he let me know he was all right with it.  He acknowledged that he didn’t think he was right now, but maybe after he got used to other women doing it.

-ooOoo-

  From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 7, Day 5

Sometimes I think I like dinner time even better than beach time.  It’s so much fun going out to eat with Harry.  I’ve brought along some great summer dresses, and a couple of miniskirts, and Harry likes them all!  His eyes really bugged out the first time he saw the blue one.  It’s stretchy and tight and fits me snugly all over, particularly around the bust (and cut pretty low besides) and it’s the shortest one I have.  It only goes halfway down to my knees. 

But the best part is that we have wonderful conversations.  We never seem to run out of things to talk about.  We keep looking up and finding that we’re among the last ones in the restaurant.  I think that’s so important in a relationship.  I could never spend my life with someone I couldn’t talk to.

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 8, Day 2

Harry has really changed in some ways this summer.  He’s become much more serious about things, especially about working.  Today he apologized to me for the way he’s been in the past.  It started with a discussion about studying …

“This is ridiculous,” groaned Harry, as he closed his book in frustration.  “There’s so much stuff in these books that I already should have learned.  What have I been doing for the past six years?”

“Well, to be fair,” Hermione pointed out, “you have had quite a few more distractions than the average student over that time period.  And we do have plenty of time for you to catch up now.”

“It’s not just that,” Harry countered.  “You’ve been involved in most of those distracting events as much as I have, and you haven’t let that keep you from learning the things we were supposed to learn.  And a whole lot more besides.”  Hermione nodded somewhat self-consciously to acknowledge the compliment.  Before she could reply he continued.  “I’ve been such an idiot.  All those years I spent so much time goofing off with Ron.  How many times did you try to get us to study more or do our homework?  Learn the spells we needed to know?  I mean, other than fourth year, when did I ever seriously buckle down and work hard to learn stuff?”

“Well, there was the Patronus charm.  You worked pretty hard to learn that on your own.”

Harry merely snorted.  Her example just proved his point.  Unless faced with an immediate threat to his life, Harry had essentially been a slacker throughout his time at Hogwarts.

“And it’s not only that we ignored you when you were trying to get us to do our work.  We treated you terribly.  We complained about you, made fun of you, argued with you.  We never appreciated you enough.  How many times did I ever thank you for everything you’ve done for me?”

“Harry, you don’t need to…”  Hermione began automatically.  But inside she was feeling a sense of vindication.  She had definitely felt that her efforts had gone unappreciated for quite some time and it had hurt quite a bit.

“Yes, I do.  You deserve better from us than what you got all these years.  I’m sorry.  And thank you.”  He looked up and noticed the moisture gathering in her eyes, that she was trying unsuccessfully to blink away.  He stood up and moved toward her and sitting down next to her on her lounge chair, gathered her into a grateful hug.

“You’re very welcome.  It’s nice to hear you say that,” she said, sniffing slightly.  “I admit I’ve sometimes felt that you regarded me as something of a nuisance or an irritation, although I got that much more from Ron than from you.”

Harry frowned.  “That’s another thing.  I’ve sat by and just gone along with him far too many times, let him influence me into doing things I knew weren’t right.  Remember that time with the Firebolt?  I was annoyed with you, but he was the one who wouldn’t let it go.  Even Hagrid saw it.  He criticized us for the way we were treating you.  Said he was disappointed that we didn’t think our friendship with you was more important than broomsticks or rats.  After that I was ready to go find you and make up, but Ron wouldn’t have it.  He still wanted us to go on not talking to you.”

“And the next year was even worse.  He turned against me and you spent all that time with me helping me out, and I never showed you any gratitude at all.  As soon as he and I made up I was right back to ignoring you again.  You were trying to help me with the egg and all I did was go waste my time rereading a quidditch book.  What was wrong with me?  Then at the Yule Ball …”  Harry just shook his head.  “You looked so beautiful and you were so excited and having a great time.  Ron and I did nothing but sulk and ignore Parvati and Padma.  Then when you joined us he started going off on you and I just sat there and let him ruin your evening.  I didn’t defend you at all!  I knew he was dead wrong and you were right.  I should have shut him up right away.  Just like so many of your arguments.  I should stick up for you more.  You’re right most of the time after all.  What kind of friend am I?”

Harry paused and looked at her again.  Hermione just sat there stunned.  Where was all of this coming from so suddenly?   She had been wishing that she would hear him say all of these things for so long.  This time she threw her arms around his neck for another hug, not trusting her voice.

“What was I thinking?” Harry mused, half aloud and half to himself.  “Why didn’t I even ask you to dance with me?  My best friend, and looking so incredible?  I’m sure I would have much rather danced with you than Parvati.”  He pulled back and looked up at her.  “For that matter, why didn’t I even think of asking you to go to the ball with me after Cho turned me down?  We could have gone as friends.  Of course by that time you already had a date.”

“Harry, don’t beat yourself up like this,” Hermione finally managed to break in.  “That’s all in the past, now.  Yes, you acted immaturely sometimes, but what can you expect with the way you were brought up?  It naturally took you some time to develop some social skills.”  She took his hands in hers and smiled at him.  “But I really appreciate that you feel this way now.  It makes everything we’ve gone through seem more worthwhile.”

Harry shook his head again, still troubled.  “But what I don’t understand is, why did you put up with it?  Why did you let us treat you that way for so long?  How did you manage to stay friends with us all that time?”

“Oh Harry, it wasn’t all that bad!  We had lots of good times together too.”  But she could tell that Harry still wasn’t convinced.  Finally she resolved that if he could come clean about this and be so brutally honest she should do the same.  She took a deep breath and began.

“Harry, I’m sure you remember Halloween of our first year.”  Harry nodded.  “And you remember why I was down in the bathroom in the first place.”  He nodded again, wincing slightly this time.  Ron had insulted her terribly.  Hermione could tell that Harry was again mentally berating himself about yet another example of him keeping quiet when he should have said or done something.  She could still remember the hurtful words, as though it were yesterday.   ‘It’s no wonder no one can stand her.  She’s a nightmare, honestly.’

“See, Harry, I never had any friends before I came to Hogwarts.  I don’t want to suggest that my life was anywhere near as bad as yours, but I was shunned by other children.  I was sure that when I came to Hogwarts and was with other children like me that it would be different.  But after two months it was no better.  That nasty comment from Ron was the last straw.  I was convinced that no one would ever like me and that I would be lonely for the rest of my life.  I just wanted to curl up and die.  But when that troll came into the bathroom I realized that wasn’t just a figure of speech.  I really thought I was going to die.”  She shuddered at the recollection and Harry put his arm around her for a soothing hug.

“But then you came out of nowhere.  A boy who didn’t even like me, who thought I was annoying at best, risked his life for me by jumping on the back of a troll.  Ron, too.  And then you both became friends with me, for real.  You saved my life, and not just from the troll.  How could I ever give up on that friendship?  It was all I had.”  Hermione was sobbing into Harry’s shoulder by now, and he clutched her tightly to himself trying to comfort her.

“You’ll never have to give me up, Hermione.  I’ll never let you go.  You’ll always be one of the most important people in my life.”  The two of them continued to hold each other, both realizing that the bond between them was now stronger than ever.

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 10, Day 1

This week’s resort is quite a bit different that the other ones we’ve stayed at.  It’s adults only (17 and older; good thing I had the goblins add a year to Harry’s age) and the atmosphere is much more sexually charged.  One result of that is that a lot more women are sunbathing topless, both at the beach and at the pool.  Harry seems to be getting more comfortable with it, so I think this might be the week for me to give it a try …

As Harry and Hermione made their way out to the beach the next afternoon, tired from a tough morning of training and ready to relax, she noticed that Harry was aware of the large number of topless women.  And he noticed that she noticed.  As she dropped their towels on two lounges near some very shapely ladies, she caught his eye and cocked her eyebrow questioningly.  He gave her a shrug which she took to mean ‘Okay, I guess.’

As nonchalantly as she could, but with a mass of butterflies swarming through her insides, Hermione untied her bikini top and pulled it off over her head, then sat down on the lounge chair.  She reached into her beach bag and pulled out two books, handing one to Harry, then leaned back, rested the book on her stomach and began reading.  Or at least pretending to.

The main difference between Hermione pretending to read and Harry pretending to read was that Hermione remembered to turn pages occasionally.  After fifteen minutes she spoke up.  “You’ve been on that same page for a quarter hour now.  That must be a very complicated spell.”  Harry responded with a sheepish grin which, as usual, made her heart flutter.  “It’s okay for you to look at me,” she allowed.  “You don’t have to pretend not to.”

“Yeah, well, this is quite an adjustment for me,” he admitted.  “It’s taking me longer than I thought it would.  At least I’m pretty sure I’m not going to pass out now, which I wasn’t at all certain of for the first five minutes.”  He cracked a smile at that, and she giggled, which made the smile widen.

“Is there anything you want to say?” Hermione persisted.

“You mean like, ‘Wow, Hermione, you have a really nice pair of …’” he trailed off, gesturing at her chest.

“Um, not precisely that, no,” Hermione managed to say in a calm voice, even as the voice inside her head was screaming ‘Yes, exactly that!’

This exchange did have the effect of calming Harry down a little.  “Okay, here’s a question.  Some of the other women here, their skin is really white where their, um, bikini tops go …”

“Tan lines,” Hermione clarified.

“Yeah.  But your … well yours are already pretty tan.  And I’m pretty sure you didn’t lay out without a top while we were at your pool together.  I think I would have noticed.”  He managed a smirk at her with this comment, and she grinned back in return.

“There are several reasons for that, actually,” she replied, launching into the more comfortable activity of explaining something to him.  “I made a few trips to a tanning salon during the week before we left, to get a little color overall.  Mum kept complaining about how pale I was.  Also, the suits I’ve been wearing are made of a tan thru fabric, which lets some sunlight through and helps a little.  And lastly, I finished it off with a little bronzer this morning as we were getting ready.”

Harry was eagerly taking in this information, and Hermione blushed a little as she noted that he didn’t seem to have a problem with looking at her anymore.  “Oh,” he responded.  There was a slight pause and then he continued.  “Well, they really do look nice.”

-ooOoo-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 14, Day 6

We almost got caught today.  There was a man on the beach who spotted us …

This week they were staying at the Club Med Cancun.  It was the last hotel along the main Cancun beach, and in Hermione’s opinion had the best location.  It actually straddled two beaches with a rocky point in between that had a coral reef that was popular with snorkelers.  There were all kinds of other sporting activities available too, but they had little time for them.  Harry did try his hand at water polo a few times, as it was quite similar to being a chaser in quidditch.  In addition to water polo, they also swam laps in the large pool, but most of their leisure/study time was spent, as usual, on the large sandy beach that was adjacent to the pool. 

Since it was a French resort, there were relatively more European guests, and they heard German, Spanish, and Italian spoken as well as French.  Of course, this also meant that quite a few women conformed to the European practice of sunbathing without a top. On their second to last day there, this led to the incident that Hermione faithfully chronicled in her journal.

“Harry, there’s a man out by the water who’s been staring at me for a while.”

Harry looked over at Hermione who was sitting up in her lounge chair reading a book, and his eyes dropped to her nicely tanned breasts.  “Gee, I wonder why,” he smirked.

Hermione flushed a bit and her pulse quickened as she processed what Harry was implying.  In response she reached out and hit him on the arm.  “Harry, I don’t think that’s the only reason.  There are a dozen other topless women out here, and I’m sure they all look at least as good as I do, and he’s only staring at me.”

Harry frowned, not wanting to agree with her statement about how she compared to the other women, and studied the man to whom Hermione was referring.  “No really, I think he’s one of those guys who walks up and down the beach checking out all the topless women.  He’s probably been staring at the others too, and you just didn’t notice it before.”  Nevertheless, he continued to observe the offending fellow.  He had long since learned to trust Hermione’s instincts.  After several minutes he concluded that she was right.  The man was looking at her, but also seemed to have a puzzled expression on his face as he looked back up the beach toward the other hotels further north several times.  Harry turned back to Hermione and nodded to her to confirm that he agreed with her suspicions.

Meanwhile Hermione had been trying to work out an explanation for the man’s behavior.  Suddenly it hit her.  “Harry, I’ve got it.  It’s like you said, he’s been walking up and down the beach looking at the topless women.  He must have seen me in front of the hotel we stayed at last week and is trying to figure out how he could have seen the same woman at two different places!”

Harry swallowed the teasing remark he was about to make about how memorable Hermione was in her current attire.  This was serious.  “How is your wandless Confundus charm?” he murmured to her.  She shook her head.  “Should I play the jealous boyfriend and run him off?”  Hermione smiled at that thought.

Just then a nearby French woman solved the problem for them.  The man had just taken out a camera, and she stood up and stormed toward him, shouting at him and scolding him for trying to take her picture.  The man, who was evidently an American who didn’t understand a word of French, hurriedly retreated back up the beach.

“Come on,” Hermione said, sitting up and putting her cover-up on and beginning to gather up their things.  “I think we need to spend the rest of this week at the pool.  This is the last hotel we’re staying at along this beach where the hotels are so close together, so this won’t be a problem after this week.”  She saw the disappointment on Harry’s face.  She could tell that he was reluctant to move from this location, and thought she knew why.  At the Club Med the beach was topless but the pool was not.

“Let’s go Harry,” she teased.  “I know you’re enjoying being out here with the topless women, but we need to get out of sight.  There will be pretty girls for you to look at by the pool, too.  We’ll be at another topless beach next week.”

Harry managed an offended expression.  “I wasn’t looking at the topless women.”  Hermione gave him a look that clearly expressed her skepticism.  Harry’s gaze fell to his feet, unwilling to meet her eyes.  “Just one,” he muttered.

Hermione managed to contain the gasp that threatened to emerge from her mouth.  She had been trying to convince herself that he was focusing his attention on her, that he was more interested in her than in the other girls.  Now it appeared as though she might be succeeding.  But she couldn’t let him know yet what she was thinking.  She let her skeptical look drop and smiled at him as he finally worked up the courage to glance back up in her direction.

She slapped him playfully on the shoulder as though to make light of his declaration.  “You’re so sweet.  But you know as well as I do that there are other girls on this beach that are much more interesting to look at than I am.”

Harry frowned as they walked from the beach toward the opening in the wall that separated the pool from the beach.  “Hermione, I don’t know why you put yourself down like that.  You’re as attractive as any girl here.”

Hermione stopped and turned to look at Harry, trying to determine if he was putting her on.  “Harry, you surely can’t mean that.  Look at that girl over there,” she said, gesturing toward a shapely, tanned blonde in a tiny string bikini stretched out on a lounge chair.  She’s gorgeous!

Harry eyed the girl Hermione had pointed out, then turned back to her and shrugged.  “She’s very pretty.  You’re pretty too.  She has a great figure.  So do you.  She looks great in that bikini.  You look great in yours.”  He stopped as he noticed the tears in Hermione’s eyes.  “What’s wrong?”

“Oh Harry!” she said, grabbing him in a fierce hug.  “You are just the most wonderful …  Do you know that you are the first guy who’s ever told me I’m pretty?” 

“Are you kidding?  What about that time at the Yule Ball?  You looked incredible.  Certainly Viktor told you that night that you looked pretty.  I certainly would have if I hadn’t been such an idiot at the time.  I certainly thought so.”

“No, Viktor only said I looked nice and I told him he looked nice, just the normal pleasantries that you exchange with your date.”

“Well, then he was a fool.”

They had reached two unoccupied lounge chairs near the pool and Harry dropped their towels and beach bag just as Hermione grabbed him for another hug.  This time she added a kiss on the cheek and pulled back to look at him with a grateful smile.  “I just have to kiss you when you say things like that.  Harry, you don’t know how much it means to me to hear you say those things.  Even if you’re the only one who thinks so.  Your opinion is more important to me than anyone else’s, so thank you.”  While she was saying this she took her bikini top out of her beach bag, slipped it over her head and slid it inside her cover-up, and with some reaching and squirming, managed to get it on and tied up.  Then she pulled the cover-up back off.

Harry just looked her and shook his head, clearly not understanding why no one else saw her the way he did.  Hermione did not fail to spot the long glances he directed up and down her body while she was stretched out on the lounge chair during the remainder of the afternoon.

-ooOoo-

  From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Week 16, Day 4

Today was the best day!

I’ve noticed that Harry’s been quieter than normal during the last two weeks.  Ever since the conversation we had by the pool at Club Med.  He’s often seemed to be deep in thought, and I’ve frequently noticed him looking at me strangely.  Usually I just smile back.  At first, he would become flustered but lately he’s been smiling back before (shyly?) dropping his eyes.  Today, I asked him about it, and the answer was a wonderful shock …

“Harry, what’s on your mind?”  Hermione had noticed that Harry seemed troubled all through dinner.  She recognized the look – it was the expression he got when he was trying to figure something out and it just wasn’t adding up.  Now they were walking back to the room along one of the lighted pathways and she decided to try to find out what was bothering him.

“Nothing.  I’m fine.”

“Harry, when has that answer ever worked?”

Harry gave one of his trademark sheepish grins.  “Not very often I guess.”

Thinking quickly Hermione veered off the path back to their room and onto one that would take them toward the beach, thereby extending the walk.  “Please tell me.”

“I’m not sure I can.”

“You know you can talk about anything with me.”

“This is different.”

“Why?”

They had reached the beach by now and he stopped and turned to face her “I’m afraid of what might happen …”  He didn’t say any more for a while, but Hermione had a feeling that he was on the verge of letting it out.  She bent over and removed her sandals, then holding them in one hand she took his hand with the other and they began walking through the sand along the deserted shoreline.  Finally he spoke again.

“I’m not sure this is such a good idea, us being so close together and living in the same room and all.”  He looked over at her while he was saying this and noticed the hurt look that came over her face and hastened to add, “not that I’m not enjoying it, and you’re great company, and we’re learning so much together …”

She stopped and turned to face him again.  The moonlight was shining over the water and she could see the uncertainty in his eyes.  “Why then?” she asked softly.

“There’s a problem.”  He paused, evidently searching for the right words.  “Look, you know I’m rubbish at figuring out girls, right?  I mean, I had no idea if Cho had feelings for me until she kissed me under that mistletoe.  And with Ginny, I didn’t know how she felt about me until that day she came running up into my arms and I kissed her.”

Hermione’s chest tightened up and she suddenly found it difficult to breathe.  “Go on,” she urged him.  Dropping her sandals to the sand, she moved up close to him and took his hands in hers, looking into his eyes.

Harry swallowed hard.  “It’s just that, I’m afraid that I’m starting to be attracted to you – as more than just friends.”

Her heart pounding now, Hermione leaned forward and touched her lips lightly to his for a brief instant, then pulled back.  “So what’s the problem?” she whispered.

“What if you don’t feel the same way?”

She came forward and kissed him again, this time more forcefully.   Then she leaned back with a twinkle in her eye and noticed the amazed expression on his face. 

“So, no problem at all then,” she murmured, and their lips met again.

By the time this kiss finished, Harry had a dazed look and Hermione found that she was having trouble standing.  Once he was able to speak, Harry managed one more hesitant objection, but his heart clearly wasn’t in it.  “Hermione, are you sure this is a good idea?”

Hermione wrapped her arms around him, pressing her body against his as hard as she could, and pulled his head down to hers.  This time she gave him the most passionate kiss she could, pouring all the feelings she had been holding inside for so long into one unequivocal statement.  Finally, she ended it and looked once more into his eyes, her own eyes dancing with happiness.   Her heart gave a lurch when she saw the look of sheer joy that erupted on his face, and a single word formed silently on his lips.  ‘Wow!’

There was no doubt about her answer.  “I think this is a very good idea.”

(From the Journal of Hermione Granger – continued)

Yes!  Yes!!  Yes!!!  I’m so excited I think I’m going to explode!

-xox-XOX-XOX-xox-

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

A/N   I’ve made this point about wizarding fashion in my other stories (you have all read them, right?) but I’ll say it again.   It’s clear from the books (ignore the movies) that wizard society — clothing, housewares, etc —   is 50 to 100 years behind the rest of the world.   That’s why they look so out of place whenever they have to dress as muggles.   Therefore pureblood wizards like Ron have never seen anything like today’s bikinis.   For the second task I’m assuming that Fleur wore an old-fashioned tank suit — not a modern one like she wore in the movie.   This will come up again later in this story.

A/N 2 It may seem like the only thing they did on the trip was fall in love.   Remember that this chapter (and the next as well) is in response to Ron’s question of how they came to be engaged.   After that they’ll tell him about the other things they accomplished.

(Author's Daughter's Note: Hi! Chemprof is on vacation at the beach this week, so I shall be uploading the story in his stead. Wow, this was a really cheesy chapter, wasn't it? Anyway, if there are any blips in the uploading, they are my fault, as I only had a quick crash course in how to do this.)