Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Chapter 7, Battling Umbridge

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – February 21

Gryffindor lost to Hufflepuff in quidditch. As Fred and George feared, the replacement beaters were awful, and Ron was just as bad. I’m really worried about how he’s going to take it. Ginny did manage to catch the snitch, but Harry would have caught it sooner. He pointed out to me where it was several times during the match. I was amazed that he could spot it so well, especially considering how blind he is without his glasses. As it was, we only lost by 10 points, so if Harry had played we probably would have won.


“Cheer up Harry, it’s only a game,” Hermione suggested as they descended the quidditch stands. That comment brought Harry up short, and he turned and shot a look at her like she was crazy. But Hermione didn’t flinch, and held his gaze without backing down. Pretty soon Harry softened his stance and forced a chuckle.

“Hermione, you just don’t understand quidditch,” he commented while shaking his head. By now they were alone as the rest of the crowd moved ahead, and Hermione slowed in order to keep them by themselves as they walked back to the castle.

“I really think that it causes too much tension and bad feeling between the Houses,” Hermione persisted. Harry didn’t react to that statement at first, thinking about it in silence before replying.

“I don’t think that’s necessarily true,” he countered. “Most of the time the bad feeling’s already there for other reasons. Quidditch actually gives us a way to let it out without resorting to hexing each other. There are also examples of positive interactions that come out of the matches. Remember what a good sport Cedric was when he offered to replay our match third year when the dementors came out onto the field? I had a lot more respect for him after that, and I think it was at least part of why we got along well during the tournament last year.”

Harry paused for a minute, and Hermione nodded that he had a point. “Now, I’ll admit that my fight with Malfoy after our first match this year does tend to lend support to your argument,” he continued sheepishly.

Hermione stopped again. “Actually, you could also use that as an example of what you’re saying,” she pointed out. “The animosity between the two of you goes far beyond any quidditch rivalry. In fact, before this year, quidditch gave you an acceptable outlet for your ill feelings toward him. And even that fight didn’t really have anything to do with the match.” She paused and smirked. “I would have been tempted to hit the little creep for mouthing off like that myself.” Then both of them grinned at each other, remembering the time Hermione had smacked Malfoy third year when he had insulted Hagrid and gloated about Buckbeak’s pending execution. Then they took each other’s hands and resumed walking back to the castle, and ended up agreeing that both of their viewpoints had some validity.

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – February 23

The issue of the Quibbler with Harry’s interview came out today. To say it had quite an impact would be an understatement. Luna says it sold out and her father’s reprinting it. Umbridge had a fit, of course. Before the day was out she came out with another educational decree banning anyone from reading or even possessing a copy of the Quibbler under pain of expulsion. (Is it my imagination or do nearly all of her decrees seem to be aimed at Harry? Evil, foul woman!)

Of course, her banning it just guaranteed that everyone would read it. I must say, my fellow Hogwarts students are proving to be quite imaginative in finding ways to disguise the issue as ordinary reading material. Not to mention the creative ways our professors are finding to award Harry house points. I’m beginning to feel that things might not be quite so hopeless after all. On the other hand, Dumbledore hasn’t said a word about it, or even shown any reaction at all! Perhaps this is some sort of test for Harry, so he’s sitting back to see how Harry handles it?

Harry had another vision, and it seems to be related to the dream he’s been having. A Death Eater named Rookwood was telling Voldemort that something about his plan wouldn’t work. That sounds like good news, since it means he’s had a setback in his search for that weapon he wants so badly.

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – March 2

Some rather disturbing issues arose from Harry’s Occlumency lesson this evening. As usual, Snape berated him for not making any progress. Actually, he is doing better since we read my Occlumency book together, but Snape would never admit that. It now takes him several seconds to break into Harry’s mind and it doesn’t take Harry as long to throw him out as it used to. But he’s still exhausted both mentally and physically after each one.

Tonight Snape discovered Harry’s thoughts about the dreams he was having and became very interested in them. He accused Harry of wanting to have those dreams in order to feel important, and that the whole purpose of the lessons was to prevent him from seeing what Voldemort is telling his Death Eaters. Well, at first I was incensed that he would accuse Harry of wanting to feel important, but then I realized that we did in fact consider that those dreams were useful. Then it hit me. We thought the Occlumency lessons were to prevent Voldemort from breaking into Harry’s mind. But Snape seems to be saying they’re to prevent Harry from breaking into Voldemort’s mind. How does that make sense?

Well, an obvious reason that we can think of for Snape wanting to keep Harry out of Voldemort’s mind is because he’s actually on Voldemort’s side. We know he’s acting as a double agent. What if his real loyalty is to Voldemort rather than Dumbledore? Is he trying to keep Harry from finding something out? It’s possible, I suppose, that Snape is jealous of his role as a spy, and doesn’t want anyone else interfering with it, but it’s hard to believe that’s the only reason.

Every time anyone questions Snape’s loyalty, Dumbledore always says he trusts him without reservation. Why? We know he used to be a Death Eater. What can he have done to make Dumbledore trust him so much? It’s hard to believe that Snape could be fooling Dumbledore, but is it any harder than believing he’s fooling Voldemort? I just wish Dumbledore wouldn’t be so secretive about what’s going on.

Here’s something else that may be important. On the last time Snape attacked his mind, Harry managed to throw him out and then entered Snape’s mind! Hah! Who’s weak-minded now? Harry saw some memories that Snape clearly wouldn’t have wanted him to see. But there must be some memories that are even more secret, because Harry says he removes them from his mind and puts them into a pensieve every time they meet. I wonder what those are about? But the memories he did see showed that Snape had a rather miserable childhood.

Now, since they’ve been having these lessons, Snape has seen dozens of similar unhappy childhood memories of Harry’s. He certainly can no longer believe that Harry was pampered in any way. Wouldn’t you think that since they had that in common, Snape would be more sympathetic to Harry? But no, he’s as nasty as ever. What does he have against Harry that makes him this way? Perhaps it’s related to those memories he doesn’t want Harry to see?

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – March 9

Umbridge finally got rid of Trelawny today. I confess I have mixed feelings about that. I’m glad it wasn’t Hagrid, since he seems to be her other main target. She’s been popping in on both of their lessons all term. (Since all she does in her own lessons is have us sit and read all period, she has plenty of time to go make life miserable for the other teachers.)

While I feel the course is total rubbish, I don’t think Trelawny is that bad of a teacher. Well, yes she is, but at least she’s knowledgeable about her subject. I wonder why Umbridge picked on her. I know she hates Hagrid for being a half-giant, but as far as I know Trelawny is a full-blooded witch. There are other incompetent teachers she could have gone after – Binns, for example. But I suppose he is teaching a ‘Ministry Approved Curriculum’, even if it is horribly out of date.

The evil woman just had to do it in the most humiliating manner possible, of course. She made a big spectacle of it, right in the Entrance Hall. Trelawny was wailing and moaning about what she was going to do now. I genuinely felt sorry for her at that point. We students don’t always realize that for these teachers who have been here for decades, Hogwarts is their home.

But then Dumbledore appeared and told her she didn’t have to leave, even if she wasn’t on staff any more. Umbridge immediately challenged him on it, but he revealed that he had already secured the services of another Divination teacher, and he wouldn’t require Trelawny’s living quarters. Then he shocked everyone, especially Umbridge, by bringing in Firenze, the centaur! He couldn’t possibly have picked a better candidate to infuriate Umbridge, since she regards centaurs as sub-human. For her, he would be even worse than Hagrid.

The whole scene ended rather touchingly, when McGonagall comforted Trelawny and helped her back to her room. That impressed me about McGonagall’s character, since I know the two of them don’t like each other much.

After everything calmed down, and we all had a chance to think about it, Harry brought up an interesting point.


“Wow, did you see the look on the toad’s face when Dumbledore brought Firenze in?” Ron crowed. “Priceless!”

After the excitement had died down, everyone had returned to their common rooms, and the fifth year Gryffindors were sitting in a cluster discussing the day’s events.

“Never mind her,” Lavender sighed dreamily, “Did you see Firenze?” Ron turned and gave her an odd look.

“I bet you wish you hadn’t given up Divination now, don’t you Hermione?” Parvati smirked.

Hermione’s response was an unconcerned shrug. “Not really. I don’t expect I’d enjoy that course no matter who was teaching it.” She cocked her head at her two dormmates who were giggling at each other and frowned. “I thought you two liked Trelawny. Aren’t you upset that she’s gone?”

“Of course!” “We are!” the pair protested. “We went right up to her office to see if she was all right, and took her some flowers,” Lavender added. “But Hermione, this isn’t about teaching. He’s a centaur!”

“A gorgeous centaur,” sighedParvati.

Hermione rolled her eyes and shook her head, about to make a snarky reply, but then noticed that Ron was starting to get upset at his girlfriend’s behavior and decided on a different tactic. “Well, I don’t really care about that, as I’ve already got a boyfriend.” She shot a smile at Harry and squeezed his hand, but noticed for the first time that he wasn’t following the conversation. Rather, he was staring thoughtfully into the fire. He did respond to her gesture, though, and automatically looked up and smiled back. Hermione put her curiosity about this aside and continued addressing Lavender. “And so do you.”

Only now did Lavender notice Ron’s annoyance. “Well … yes … of course,” she stammered. “It’s only that …”

“He’ll be naked in class.” Hermione finished. This got quite a reaction, from gasps from the girls to choking noises from the boys. Lavender and Parvati turned bright red while Ron went pale. It got her Harry’s full attention as well, and she smirked at him and then continued, now on a roll. “Of course he’s only human from the waist up. You could get the same effect by putting any of these guys up there with their shirts off. “Hmm,” she pretended to ponder while looking each of the guys up and down. “Harry’s pretty scrawny …” This earned her a playful punch in the arm from her boyfriend, as he pretended to be insulted. “ … but Ron’s pretty well put together. What do you think, Ron? Want to try teaching Divination? Take off your robes and shirt and let’s see if you qualify.”

Ron was incoherent by now and could only sputter. Lavender was blushing harder than Hermione had ever seen. The looks she and Ron were shooting at each other made it clear that she had already seen Ron with his shirt off, and had no intention of allowing the other two girls the opportunity. Harry was grinning from ear to ear, and moved closer to Hermione, wrapping his arm around her in admiration. Seamus and Dean were laughing heartily at Ron and Lavender’s discomfort and Neville stared at Hermione in dumbstruck silence, shocked at seeing this more daring side of her personality.

The conversation then disintegrated into some back and forth teasing, until Seamus offered the opinion that it would be rather pleasant (and considerably more revealing) if they had a female centaur teach the class. This earned him glares from all the girls, and when Parvati pulled out her wand he took off, as she chased him across the common room. Dean hurried after in case he needed rescuing, and the rest drifted away as well, Ron and Lavender deciding they needed some ‘alone time’. Soon Harry and Hermione were by themselves on the sofa before the fire.

“Harry?” Hermione asked, now that she had the opportunity. “What’s on your mind?”

“Dumbledore,” he replied simply. “He finally did something.”

Hermione immediately realized where he was going with this thought process. “So, why now?” she responded. “After letting her walk all over him all year, why take a stand for Trelawny?” Harry nodded. Dumbledore hadn’t interfered with their worthless Defense lessons, hadn’t interfered with the blood quill punishments, hadn’t interfered with her harassment of Hagrid’s lessons, or those of any of the other teachers.

“Why is she so important?” Harry voiced the question that was on both of their minds. “Why does she need to stay at the castle?”

“Why is such an incompetent teacher here in the first place?” Hermione continued the line of inquiry. “Does she have some hold over him that allows her to keep her job?”

“You could ask the same question about Snape,” Harry pointed out. “In his case, he’s spying for the Order now. But what about before that? What made Dumbledore hire and keep on such an incompetent Potions teacher?”

“I wonder if there’s some relationship,” Hermione mused. “I find it inconceivable that Trelawny was a former Death Eater, but perhaps she knows something or saw something important at some point in time. It might be worth checking into their employment histories.”

At that the couple fell silent, and snuggled together in front of the fire for the rest of the evening, deep in thought.

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – March 10

We learned more about Firenze today. Divination is now held in a first floor classroom that is enchanted to look like a forest. Harry took me down and showed it to me before dinner. Firenze is now an outcast, as the rest of the centaurs refuse to have anything to do with humans. After class he said something strange to Harry. It was a warning to pass on to Hagrid that his attempt was not working, and to abandon it. Harry, Ron, and I talked about that and concluded that Hagrid was keeping some dangerous creature in the Forbidden Forest, and the centaurs are upset about it. That would also explain the injuries that Hagrid has all the time. We have no idea what sort of creature it could be, and Hagrid continues to be close-mouthed about it.

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – March 16

I think we’re going about this the wrong way. We’re being too passive with Umbridge. It’s time to start making things more difficult for her.


“Harry, can I borrow your mirror?” Hermione asked as she met him at the bottom of the stairs to the boys’ dorm the next morning.

“My mirror?” Harry asked in puzzlement. “What … oh … that mirror. Sure, um, what do you need it for?”

“I want to ask Sirius something,” Hermione answered with a sly smile. “It’s a secret, but you’ll find out soon.”

The mystery was revealed the following morning at breakfast when a delivery owl dropped a long narrow package in front of Hermione.

“Hermione! What are you doing with a broom?” Ron asked in amazement as Hermione unwrapped a new Nimbus.

“Oh, I decided that it was time I had one of my own,” Hermione answered nonchalantly, as Harry, Ron, and Ginny gaped at her. She inclined her head slightly toward the head table where Umbridge regarded them suspiciously. “It’s something every witch should own, don’t you think?” Then she lowered her voice. “And there’s nothing in the rules against loaning it out to a friend occasionally.” Harry’s eyes lit up, followed by Ginny’s, while Ron remained skeptical.

“But you don’t even like flying,” he protested.

“No time like the present to change that, is there?” she smiled.

That afternoon at the Gryffindor quidditch practice, Hermione sat in the stands while Harry flew high above the pitch, giving Ginny pointers. At the end of the practice, Umbridge was waiting for them, fuming.

“Mr. Potter! You have been banned from playing quidditch,” she snarled. “I believe another detention seems to be in order.”

“Harry wasn’t playing quidditch, Professor,” Hermione pointed out politely. “He was just flying around, and watching our house team practice. He hasn’t been banned from flying, and students from our house frequently come out to watch our team practice.”

She was rewarded with a glare from the toad-like witch, who turned and stormed back up to her office. In no time another Educational Decree appeared, restricting participation in quidditch practices to official team members only, making it clear that flying alongside the team was considered participation. While this pronouncement was greeted with groans by the rest of the students, Harry and Hermione only smiled.

Later that week, at the next Gryffindor quidditch practice, Harry and Hermione were there again. This time both of them sat in the stands, and periodically Harry would mount Hermione’s broom and take off in the direction of the lake, performing some intricate maneuver or other, while Hermione watched intently. Then he would return and Hermione would take the broom and fly out in the same general direction and back, but making no attempt to do anything fancy. On the other hand, Ginny would also watch Harry’s maneuver closely, and when he was finished she would try to copy it. This went on for the entire practice.

Once more, an extremely irritated Professor Umbridge met them as they returned to the castle. “Mr. Potter!” she shouted again. “What do you think you were doing!”

“Giving Hermione flying lessons,” Harry answered politely. “She’s not very good at it and since she has this new broom she wants to get better and …”

“Enough!” Umbridge screamed, cutting off his explanation. As she stomped away the grinning members of the Gryffindor team all congratulated Harry and Hermione, with the girls adding hugs for both of them. As everyone expected, another educational decree was soon forthcoming.
 

Effective immediately,
flying
instruction is restricted to class sessions
and
official quidditch practices only.


The following week Umbridge sat in the stands for the entire Gryffindor quidditch practice. Harry and Hermione were there as well, watching Ginny fly on Hermione’s new broom, practicing the moves Harry had showed her the previous two sessions. At the end of the practice, Ginny smiled and waved to Umbridge, who could only fume and hurry back to the castle. But later that week she spotted Harry and Hermione flying together on the new Nimbus, and immediately waddled out to the quidditch pitch.

“Potter!” she began to rant, before being cut off by Madame Hooch, who had appeared as soon as Umbridge reached the two of them.

“Is there something I can help you with, Professor?” she inquired.

“What are those two doing?” the frustrated High Inquisitor shouted.

“Miss Granger has signed up for Remedial Flying Lessons, Professor,” Hooch explained. “And Mr. Potter has kindly consented to act as my teaching assistant. As I’m sure you know, offering remedial lessons is well within the job description of every Hogwarts professor, as is employing upper year students as assistants. And since Mr. Potter offered his services at no charge, I’m certain you’ll agree that this is an ideal arrangement.”

Umbridge merely stared at her for several moments, and then turned once more toward the castle in frustration. She was forced to acknowledge that there was nothing she could do to interfere with the Flying Instructor’s decision, since her mastery of her discipline was beyond question, and indeed she had given her a top rating earlier in the year.

When she was gone Hooch turned and gave a wave to the pair of students up in the sky, and followed her inside. High above Harry wrapped his arms around the girl in front of him on the broom, and she leaned back and smiled. “Do you want to try another dive?” he asked with a grin of his own.

“Only if you hold me tight,” she replied slyly. “I’m afraid I’m going to need these lessons for the entire rest of the year before I’m really comfortable.”

“Whatever it takes,” he responded, adding a little kiss to the top of her head. “I’m all yours.” And he put one hand over hers on the broomstick and pushed them into an easy dive, while keeping the other arm wrapped tightly around her waist.

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Thursday, April 2

The DA has been going very well. Easter break begins tomorrow, and we have covered the entire year’s material now. There will be plenty of time for students to review everything before OWLs. Tonight Harry announced that we will begin attempting the Patronus charm after break.

Speaking of OWLs, I’m going to make study schedules for us to begin to prepare for them over break. It will also be a good opportunity to complete our investigation of Trelawny and Snape.


It was now the end of the break. Despite some grumbling (good natured on Harry’s part, somewhat less so for Ron), Harry and Ron had accepted the study schedules, and they had made good progress in preparing for the OWLs. Hermione had also been successful in gathering some background information on Trelawny and Snape.

“OK, according to what I’ve found out Trelawny was hired in 1980, and is the great-great-granddaughter of the famous seer Cassandra Trelawny,” Hermione announced.

“That’s the year we were born,” Harry noted. “So she’s been teaching here as long as we’ve been alive.”

“Snape’s been here almost as long,” Hermione added, restraining herself from pointing out that she had actually been born in the fall of 1979. “He was hired in 1982. Rather remarkable, actually, since he was in the same class with your parents and they’d only graduated three years earlier.”

“And he was a Death Eater during that time,” Ron reminded them.

“Let’s focus on Trelawny first,” Hermione recommended. “Evidently Dumbledore was hoping she had inherited her ancestor’s talent. But clearly he was wrong. I don’t see how he could have failed to realize in fifteen years that she’s a fraud. I doubt if she’s ever made a real prophecy.”

“Well,” Harry corrected. “There was the one … wait a minute!”

“What?” Hermione and Ron chorused.

“Remember, the night in third year when Sirius escaped? That afternoon during my Divination exam she went into a trance and made an actual prophecy about what happened that night.”

“That’s right, you mentioned that on the train ride home,” Hermione recalled. “So, you think that’s reason enough to …”

“No, no,” Harry broke in. “I also told Dumbledore about it, the next day. And he was rather amused and said it brought her total of real predictions up to two.” Hermione’s eyes widened as she realized what he was suggesting.

“So, we were speculating that she might have seen something or overheard something that Dumbledore doesn’t want anyone to know about,” Hermione reasoned aloud. “What if instead it was that other prophecy? Maybe Dumbledore hired her on the condition that she wouldn’t tell anyone else about it.”

“Except that she didn’t even know she’d made a prophecy when she did it last year,” Harry countered. “So she might not know about that one either.”

“Then how did Dumbledore know about it?” Ron asked.

The three of them pondered this question for a few moments. “The only thing I can think of is that he heard her make it,” Harry suggested.

“Unless he found out about it because he read it someplace,” Hermione offered. “But if it’s public knowledge why bother with hiring her to keep it secret?”

“I think the Ministry keeps records of prophecies,” Ron informed them. “I’ve heard my dad mention it. It’s called the Hall of Prophecies or something like that. If I remember right it’s in the Department of Mysteries.”

“Harry! The corridor in your dreams!” Hermione gasped as Harry came to the same realization. “Didn’t you say you thought that was in the Department of Mysteries?”

“But that doesn’t make any sense,” Ron objected. “You said it was a weapon You Know Who was after. What kind of weapon is a prophecy?”

No one had any answers to that question, or how they could learn any more about Trelawny’s first prophecy. Hermione thought about owling the Ministry to inquire about it, but wasn’t sure how they could do it without Umbridge finding out, since all of their owl post was being opened and read. Harry suggested that they ask Sirius to do it the next time they talked to him, but Hermione wasn’t certain that they wanted the Order to know about the inquiry either, since they were guarding the alleged weapon and were intent on keeping the students in the dark about it.

“It’s like we’re in a police state here,” Hermione grumbled in reference to the intercepted communications. Harry nodded his agreement but Ron was puzzled.

“What’s a ‘please state’?” he asked.

“Never mind,” Hermione said dismissively. “Let’s talk about Snape.” The boys both agreed.

“So, we know he was a Death Eater at one time, but he must have changed sides if Dumbledore hired him, and brought him into the Order,” Hermione began. “And he’s said numerous times that he trusts him completely.”

“From what it sounded like last year when they all got together in the Hospital Wing after … well after Fudge left, Dumbledore sent him out on a spying mission,” Harry added as Hermione took his hand in a comforting gesture at the memory of that horrible night. “And it seemed like it wasn’t the first time.”

“You mean he’d spied before, and it must have been when You Know Who was in power before, well, before you defeated him,” Ron clarified. Harry and Hermione both nodded.

“So, you think Dumbledore recruited him as a spy even before my parents were killed?” Harry wondered. Hermione thought to herself that it was interesting how differently the two boys referred to the same incident. “That would mean he was a Death Eater for only a couple of years before he turned. I wonder what happened to make him change his mind so fast.”

“Hmm,” Hermione mused. “I wonder if it has anything to do with those memories he doesn’t want you to see.”

“It sure would be nice if we could see what they were,” Harry commented. Ron wholeheartedly agreed but Hermione frowned. “I know,” Harry sighed upon seeing her reaction. “It would be an invasion of privacy and it would be wrong.”

“Yes … no!” Hermione changed her mind in mid-sentence, causing the other two to regard her in confusion. “He invades your privacy every lesson,” she objected hotly. “Does he offer you the opportunity to protect some of your secrets from him when he’s invading your mind? Why should you give him that consideration if he won’t do it for you?”

“You mean …” Harry stammered. “You mean you think it would be OK for us to try to see those memories?” Hermione nodded firmly.

“Hermione!” Ron blurted out. “What’s gotten into you? What happened to the girl who was terrified of breaking any rules?”

“I grew up,” Hermione answered. “And I found some things are more important than rules.” She caught Harry’s eye and he understood. He reached out to squeeze her hand affectionately as Ron coughed and looked the other way.

“Now, all we have to do is figure out how to accomplish that,” Harry concluded.

Just then they were interrupted by a grinning pair of red-headed twins.

“A word of advice,” Fred offered.

“Seeing as how Mr. Potter is the toad woman’s favorite target for punishment …” George began.

“… excepting when she can pin something on Miss Granger …” Fred broke in.

“… which is difficult because Miss Granger never breaks any rules …” George pointed out.

“… or at least never gets caught at it …” Fred amended.

“… the three of you might want to make sure you’re in the Great Hall early for lunch today,” they finished in unison.

Hermione narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “And just what might be happening that we might get in trouble for?”

“You’ll see,” they smirked.

Hermione stood and folded her arms across her chest and appeared to be considering her next course of action. Taking a cue from her, Harry and Ron moved to either side of her and drew their wands. The smiles immediately vanished from the twins’ faces and they began backing up slowly. They were well aware from the DA sessions that they could not out duel Harry, and that Hermione knew more hexes than anyone in the school, and that Ron was no slouch with a wand either.

“Well,” Hermione said finally, “it better be good.”

“What?” George blurted out, as Fred gaped at her.

“If someone’s going to get in trouble, the prank had better be impressive and not just some wimpy little hex,” she explained as grins broke out on Harry and Ron’s faces. Fred and George turned to face each other and burst out laughing.

“What happened to little Miss Perfect Prefect?” Fred asked.

“But I’m not a prefect, am I?” Hermione explained with a sly smile. “And to tell the truth, I’m feeling a bit … rebellious today.”

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – Sunday, April 12

Well, Fred and George’s prank was really quite impressive. They set off what must have been an entire crate of fireworks in the hall outside of Umbridge’s office. From there they spread all throughout the castle. The amazing thing was that most of the professors (Snape excluded, of course) didn’t appear to mind them too much. Dumbledore actually seemed to be enjoying them. He was overheard standing next to Flitwick, discussing the charms involved in one that was writing swear words in midair. There were even some that followed Umbridge around, making rude comments about her. Afterward Harry and I found the twins and congratulated them, and I told them how impressed I was. They were both pleased at my compliments, I think.

I really don’t know what to make of those two. Today’s display shows that they are very capable wizards. But they treat their schoolwork with such disdain. When we were discussing OWLs over break, they bragged that they had only got three each. Unbelievable! And they joked that they should have received ‘Exceeds Expectations’ for just showing up to take the exams. They’re certainly forcing me to re-evaluate my conceptions of what constitutes success. After all, they’re planning to open a joke shop when they leave Hogwarts, and from what we’ve seen of their products this year, they will certainly be a success at it. Even though no one ‘officially’ knew who set these fireworks off, they were swamped with orders from the other students afterwards.

The most incredible thing that they said, though, was that they were thinking of leaving school early! Without taking their NEWTs! For me that thought was so inconceivable that I couldn’t speak for several seconds. They said they were just waiting for the right time, so they could make a dramatic exit. It’s hard to believe what could be more dramatic than today’s firework display, but I’m not betting against it with that pair.

One thing that I admired was that they said they were waiting until after break so as not to disrupt the other students’ leisure and study time. As I thought about it, I realized that they actually are pretty considerate of their fellow students. Very few of their pranks over the years were mean-spirited, and most of their ‘victims’ took it in good humor. And they’re perfectly delighted when anyone successfully pranks them back.

All in all, it’s been a pretty good break.

-xox-XOX-XOX-xox-

 

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

Notice that Harry and Hermione (and Ron) are pondering what’s happening and making some conclusions based on the information available. That doesn’t mean they’re correct, though, and we know there will be trouble ahead when they make decisions based on their understanding of the situation. There are unfortunate consequences to withholding information.