Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Final Year, Chapter 4 – Regrouping and Reassessment

From the Journal of Hermione Granger – July 16 (continued)

Once we were in the clear, we took stock of our situation. Harry thought his left shoulder was broken, or at least separated, and he had no feeling at all in his left arm. I was pretty sure my left leg was broken. Both of those injuries were from that last bone-shattering hex Voldemort threw at us. I also had a gash on my forehead that was bleeding pretty badly, from when his slashing hex shattered my shield. I told Harry I thought it might have been Sectumsempra. I even managed a joke that perhaps we’d now have matching scars. We had plenty of other cuts and bruises, but those were the major injuries.

Then we turned our attention to trying to figure out where we were, and where we should go next. From the position of the moon and stars I decided that we were heading south. We had no idea how much the escape plan had been compromised, such that more Death Eaters might be waiting for us at our intended safe house, so we decided we needed to consider an alternate destination. Harry initially suggested that we try to apparate to Hogwarts, but I told him there was no way I could walk up the path from the gate, and that Madame Pomfrey might not even be there. We also considered flying to Headquarters, but London was in the opposite direction from where we were. Then I decided that we weren’t too far from my house, and suggested we go there. Harry wondered if it was safe, and I told him that the warning wards hadn’t been triggered yet, so I knew no Death Eaters had been there.

I made a joke about how under better circumstances this would be romantic, flying alone up here with him in the moonlight. He joked back that it would be a lot more romantic if I hadn’t been in the body of a boy! He assured me that my hugs were much more enjoyable when I was a girl. Ironically, it was just about that time when the hour was up and I changed back into my regular body. I snuggled up behind him and rubbed my chest into his back to illustrate his comment, and we both got a bit of a chuckle out of it.

At that point I asked him about what happened during that last exchange with Voldemort. Harry showed me the wand he had captured. It wasn’t Voldemort’s! I asked him if he was certain, and he assured me that he’d recognize that yew wand anywhere. Voldemort must have thought ahead, and switched wands to avoid the very thing we were trying to do, lock up his wand with Harry’s. I noted that it was still remarkable that Harry’s disarming spell had defeated him, and Harry agreed. He wondered if it was somehow related to the fact that his wand had overpowered Voldemort’s in the graveyard. I really need to find a book about wand magic. Then it occurred to us that perhaps that was the reason that Ollivander had been captured, that Voldemort needed to know what the consequences of that incident were.

We both grew silent after that, partly from contemplating that idea, but mostly because we were both hurting and tired. Finally we reached my house and landed. Harry used his good arm to support me while I hopped inside, and I barely made it into the living room. We were clearly in no condition to travel any further, but we desperately needed to get in contact with someone to let the others know we were still alive. We also didn’t know if the Burrow or any of our other safe houses had been attacked. I decided then and there that I needed to make some more communication mirrors.

I was glad I’d taken an introductory healing course last term at Beauxbatons. I healed our cuts and bruises, and Harry held up a mirror so I could try to close the gash on my forehead. As I suspected, it was worse than a normal cutting curse, and I couldn’t get it to stop bleeding. Harry found some bandages in our medicine cabinet and wrapped it up as best as he could. I apologized for not being to mend our broken bones, as we hadn’t got that far in class, but Harry assured me he was impressed that I could do as much as I had. By this time I was ready to pass out from the pain in my leg and the blood loss, but then I remembered I had packed some healing potions in my bag. Harry found both a blood replenishing potion and a pain relief potion, which I insisted we share.

Just as we were about to collapse into bed, Hedwig showed up. I don’t think either of us has ever been more glad to see her, not the least reason being that she was still alive! She had a message for us from the Weasleys. Everyone had made it back safely! A few of them were injured, but nothing too serious.

We decided that we were both just conscious enough to apparate to the Burrow. They had a lookout posted, and they spotted us as soon as we landed in the lane outside their wards. It was a good thing, too, because I couldn’t drag myself a step further, and I don’t think Harry could carry me with one arm. Ron and Bill were there in a flash, and Bill levitated me while Ron helped Harry. To our great relief, Madame Pomfrey was there, and she hustled us into beds right away and finished fixing us up. She even managed to heal my forehead completely, since she had watched Snape heal Ron last year. So, no matching scars for us after all. I don’t remember anything after that, since she put us both to sleep, but I’m certain there will be a lot for us to talk about today.


“Finished?” Harry had been waiting patiently for Hermione to finish recording the events of the previous day in her journal. He had awakened to find them both in the twins’ former bedroom, with her sitting up in her bed writing at a furious pace. Knowing that she was anxious to get everything down before it escaped her mind (not that very many things ever escaped that mind, he grinned to himself) he had leaned back and bided his time, pondering for himself the previous day’s events, and answering her questions when she needed his perspective on something. It was almost noon now, and he was getting hungry.

“Yes, I think that’s about it,” she decided, biting her lower lip thoughtfully. “There are still quite a few holes to fill, especially about what happened to the others, but I can add that later.” She looked up at him and smiled. “Ready to get dressed and face the world?”

After taking turns using the bathroom (and dressing in separate rooms for propriety’s sake) the pair descended to the kitchen, where they received enthusiastic greetings from the Weasley family and what seemed like the entire Order of the Phoenix.

While the pair of them dug into the delicious meal Mrs. Weasley had prepared, the others brought them up to date. The Death Eaters’ pursuit had been heaviest after Fred and George, their reasoning probably being that Harry was likely to try to make a solo break for it. This earned Harry an I-told-you-so smirk and nudge to the ribs from Hermione. They had both taken a few hits, George getting the worst of it from a nasty slashing hex. He proudly displayed a wicked looking scar on his cheek below his left ear.

“I’m hoping it’ll heal in the shape of a lightning bolt,” he announced. “I’m going to call myself The Boy Who Forgot To Duck.” Harry responded with a groan and shook his head, trying not to smile at the irrepressible jokester. “I reckon Mum should be happy; now she can tell us apart.”

Other than that narrow escape, they had all made it without serious injuryto their assigned safe houses, where the wards had all held satisfactorily, and taken their portkeys back to the Burrow. Remus and Tonks had lingered at the site of the breakout to make sure everyone made it out OK. They had been further away from the motorcycle when its Invisibility Booster failed, so they hadn’t reached it as soon as Harry and Hermione had. They did confirm that all the Death Eaters broke off their pursuits of the broomriders as soon as the motorcycle appeared. They also witnessed the appearance of Voldemort, as well as his retreat after his skirmish with Harry. That information had kept everyone else from panicking when Harry and Hermione’s portkey had arrived back at the Burrow without them.

“At least we made them pay,” Ron pointed out. “Shacklebolt got those two straight away at the beginning, and I hit at least one.” Fred and George cocked their heads at that news, impressed at their brother’s ability to connect with a spell while going full speed on a broom, while Arthur smiled with pride and ruffled his youngest son’s head.

“Yes, a stunning spell,” he elaborated. “Straight to the head. Knocked him right off his broom. The rest of them backed off some after that.”

“Surprised, huh?” Ron smirked at the twins.

“I’m not,” Harry broke in. “Especially after how you did in the battle at Hogwarts.” Beside him Hermione nodded supportively.

“How about you guys?” Ron asked eagerly. “You were in the thick of it for a while. Did you get any?”

“Actually, I sorta lost track,” Harry answered, scratching his head and looking to Hermione for her input. “Seven or eight, at least. I think Hermione got more than I did.”

“Well, you were flying the broom, too,” she pointed out quickly. “Pulling all those fancy stunts. Honestly, I swear we were upside down half the time.” Both of the young Gryffindors only had eyes for each other by this point, and did not notice that everyone had crowded closer, astounded at what they were hearing. “Oh, and you’re right, by the way. You knocked out four and I hitfive.”

“Most amazing thing I ever saw,” Tonks broke in. “Harry fired spells with one hand while steering with the other, loops, jinks, rolls, you name it. And Hermione twisting every which way, not holding on at all, getting off shots from every angle you can imagine.”

The thought went through the minds of more than one of the Order members that Harry and Hermione together on a broom were quite possibly a more effective fighting force than an entire battalion of Aurors.

“And you should have seen the way Hermione went after Voldemort,” Harry added with obvious pride as Hermione lowered her head and blushed modestly. “She launched a chain of hexes quicker than any I’ve ever seen. Had him on the run in no time.”

“Now, it wasn’t all me, Harry Potter,” she objected. “You hit him first after all.”

“Wait a minute, what exactly are you saying?” Remus interrupted. “We’re still not clear on why he retreated like that.”

Harry shared a look with Hermione before deciding to reveal the reason Voldemort had broken off his attack.

“I disarmed him,” he stated simply, with his usual modesty. When no one responded to this incredible claim, being occupied with open-mouthed stares, he pulled the wand he had captured out of his sleeve and laid it on the table. “It’s not his real one,” he continued. “Hermione and I think he was afraid that his wand would lock up with mine again like last time, so he used a different one. We also think that maybe that’s why he captured Ollivander.”

Not everyone knew the details of the scene at the graveyard the night of the Third Task, so some time was spent explaining Harry’s reference. Afterward, though, no one could offer any idea of how Harry had disarmed the powerful dark lord, even with his foe using an imperfectly matched wand.

Harry next brought up the topic everyone had been trying not to think about. “What happened to the Death Eater we captured? And for that matter, do we have any idea what happened to Moody? Or Mundungus?”

The members of the Order looked at each other uncomfortably for several seconds before Remus stepped up.

“Before Tonks and I left the scene, we saw the Aurors arrive,” he began. “Hestia Jones was on the response team, which was part of our planning. We wanted one of our people with them if something went wrong and they were summoned, although we weren’t anticipating anything like what occurred. When they arrived, they immediately saw that it was much more serious than a simple case of improper use of magic, and they called for backup.”

Remus paused and Harry nodded that he was following, so the werewolf continued. “By that time Kingsley had made it back, and he went out with the second wave. There were a number of dead Death Eaters on the ground, and some injured as well, along with a few who were tending to the injured. Several of these were captured. Between Hestia, Kingsley, and Tonks, we managed to get Selwyn included with that lot. He’s at the Ministry now along with the rest of them, awaiting trial.”

“And Moody?” Harry asked again, realizing he was not going to like the answer.

Remus sighed before answering. “The only reason Death Eaters keep prisoners is if they are useful to them, or have some ‘entertainment’ value.” Beside Harry, Hermione shuddered as she realized what sort of entertainment Remus was referring to, and Harry gave her hand, which he hadn’t even realized he had been holding, a protective squeeze. One of his greatest fears was that she would be captured and subjected to whatever perverse treatment the sick minds of Voldemort’s followers could come up with.

Remus finally concluded, “As long as Mad-Eye’s replacement was operating, they’d need him alive to keep producing more Polyjuice potion. Once the target’s hair has been added, the potion has a short lifetime. Now that he’s been exposed … I don’t think we’ll ever see Alistor Moody alive again.”

A heavy silence descended over the kitchen. Hermione had tears in her eyes, and Harry could feel a few of his own trying to escape. The old Auror had been overly paranoid, and abrasive, but had been extremely dedicated to his work, and fiercely loyal to the light side. His loss, especially coming only a month after Dumbledore’s death, was a terrible blow.

“How long?” Harry managed to blurt out after a few uncomfortable moments. Had the Moody who had set up the wards on Grimmauld Place been the real one or the fake, he wondered with a rising feeling of unease. But surely that one had to be genuine, or he wouldn’t have been in on the secret, he quickly reasoned. Knowledge of a Fidelius protected location could not be passed on by Polyjuice Potion.

“We’re not sure, but probably sometime in the last two weeks,” Remus answered resignedly. “Mad-Eye always worked alone, so it’s hard to know for certain. But there was a period of a few days there where we had no contact with him. No one thought anything of it at the time, but …”

“We don’t think Dung had anything to do with it,” Tonks broke in, taking everyone’s minds off Moody’s fate for a moment. “He was basically a last minute addition.” Ron and the twins shared a look at that comment, which Harry and Hermione later learned was because Molly had vetoed Ginny’s participation, causing the Order to scramble to find a replacement for her. Tonks continued, “Bugging out at the first sign of trouble is pretty much in character for him, so …” She shrugged and looked around, and the nods of the others confirmed her assessment. There wasn’t much more to say, and most of the Order members drifted quietly out of the kitchen, taking their leave in hushed voices, while Harry and Hermione sat staring at their unfinished breakfasts, no longer hungry.

An orange blur broke them out of their morose thoughts as a large cat darted into the kitchen from the garden, where he had been engaging in one of his favorite pastimes, chasing gnomes, while waiting for his mistress to awaken.

“Crookshanks!” Hermione squealed happily as she hugged him to her chest. “I’ve missed you so much!” While she continued to fuss over the oversized creature Harry caught Ron’s eye over her head and they both shook their heads as Ron mouthed the word, ‘ mental’ . Harry turned back to his girlfriend and her beloved pet and added a few head scratches of his own. For his part, the half-kneazle closed his eyes and purred, accepting the attention that was his rightful due.


Ron, Harry, and I spent the afternoon catching up. I caught Ginny’s eye as we left the kitchen and could see that she was feeling left out. I know she would have wanted to go along on the mission last night, but Mrs. Weasley would never have agreed. I’m somewhat surprised that she let Ron go, but he is of age after all. I’m going to try to make sure I spend some time with Ginny while we’re here.

Ron asked me how things had gone with my parents, which almost made me start crying again. Harry wrapped his arm around me and let Ron know that his concern was appreciated, but that it was still too sensitive of a topic right now. Then he asked Ron to bring us up to date on what had been going on in the wizarding world.

Ron proceeded to fill in some of the details of the stories we’d read in the Daily Prophet. I, of course, had been incensed at the Ministry’s actions against muggleborns, but he added some information that Harry and I hadn’t realized – that it’s not just muggleborn witches and wizards that are being targeted. Restrictions are being tightened against werewolves again, which means that Remus can’t get a job. It’s fortunate that Sirius left him some money, because his work for the Order doesn’t pay anything. We also learned that he and Tonks want to get married, but that is now illegal. If they do, Tonks will surely have to give up her job as an Auror.

The Ministry is also moving against other halfbreeds. Harry was completely stunned when Ron told him that Fleur’s job at Gringotts was called into question, since she’s part Veela. I don’t think he’s ever considered her anything but completely normal. But we both relaxed when Ron added that the goblins had in effect told the Ministry to bugger off.

We got more serious again when Ron added that Hagrid might also lose his job as a professor at Hogwarts. He thinks the best we can hope for is that they keep him on as a gamekeeper. It’s all right, you see, for a halfbreed to tend animals – just as long as he doesn’t have any responsibility for ‘normal’ human students. The whole thing makes me want to scream!

In hindsight, I realize that I should have expected this. The analogy I’ve been using with Nazi Germany would lead to this outcome as well. The Jews weren’t the only group that the Nazis went after. They also locked up and eventually exterminated the mentally ill, and people like the Gypsies – anyone who didn’t fit their definition of the ideal human being.

Ron said he’s heard his mum and dad talking about this sometimes, along with Bill. Bill thinks that it might go so far that muggleborns are kicked out of Hogwarts, and fired from all Ministry jobs. (They’re already only allowed in the lower ranking positions, I understand.) It’s ironic, but going to Beauxbatons last year actually worked out to my advantage, in this aspect, as I already have my NEWTs. They can’t throw me out, had I been planning to go back, since I’ve graduated.

After that depressing discussion we moved on to our plans, both short term and long term. We’re going to stay here until the wedding. Harry asked if they’d finally sorted out where to hold it, and Ron answered that it would be on the Delacour estate in France. They decided that all of Bill’s guests would come to the Burrow, where they would take a portkey to Fleur’s house. Fleur’s parents are paying for the portkeys. Mrs. Weasley put up some fuss about that, but there is no way the Weasleys could afford them, and after all it’s traditional that the bride’s family pays for the wedding in wizard culture just as in muggle society.

Harry wasn’t concerned with that so much as security. And I agree with him that the Burrow is just too tempting of a target, no matter how good the wards are. We were both relieved at this news, although we tried to keep it under control, since Ron’s still a bit uneasy about it. His mum had her heart set on having the wedding at the Burrow, and argued long and hard that it would be safer. This is nonsense, of course, as the Weasleys are among the best known light side supporters and if there were ever an event that was a prime target for an attack, this wedding is it. The Delacour estate will be far safer, and the portkey plan for guests is a good one.

Harry asked Ron if he thought we could continue to stay at the Burrow after the wedding, and have the freedom to go search out Horcruxes whenever we find a lead. Ron was skeptical that it would work – his mum would probably try to stop us. Harry and I indicated that this is what we suspected also, but we thought he’d know best. Harry suggested that we relocate to Headquarters, since that was the first place we wanted to search anyway. Ron was hesitant about that, because of Snape.

At that point we let Ron know that we thought Snape was still on our side. Harry told him about what Snape had said the night he killed Dumbledore, and about the note in Sirius’ room, and I added that he’d intentionally let us go and actually took out a Death Eater in the battle last night. Ron was not happy, to say the least. For one thing, he’s upset that we didn’t tell him sooner. But more than that, he just can’t bring himself to trust Snape. Harry said he understood that, but that he and I wanted to keep open the possibility. He reminded Ron that either way, Moody has put some pretty powerful traps in place just in case Snape does try something, which made Ron feel a bit better about it.

As far as longer range, we have a lot of possible places to check out, both in Britain and on the continent, and Harry also wants to go to Godric’s Hollow sometime. We agreed that for the week between now and the wedding things would be too hectic to try any searching just yet.

After dinner Fleur pulled Ginny and me aside and announced that we needed to try on bridesmaid dresses and get them fitted properly. She told me that it was looking more and more unlikely that Percy would come, and so there was little chance that I would need it, but it was better to have the dress ready and not need it than to need it and not have it. I agreed, and besides, it was also a good opportunity for a bit of girl talk with Ginny and Fleur.

The dresses are a golden yellow color, and the most distinctive feature is the low neckline. I’m certain that all the males will love them. Ginny was initially surprised at how daring they are, but quickly became quite pleased when she saw how hers looked on her. My dress shows off even more than hers, but then, I have more to show than she does. But even with her relatively small size, after Fleur finished adjusting the padding and the built-in push-up bra, she had some really nice looking cleavage. Ginny loved it! (It will be interesting to see Ron’s reaction when he sees it. Harry’s too, for that matter.)

From my point of view, the neckline was the only redeeming thing about the dress. For one thing, golden yellow is just not my color. It makes me look sickly. It would be better if I had a dark tan, like I had after spending a month at the beach at the end of last summer. Fleur apologized for the color, and offered to do a glamour charm on me to recreate that tan, and I told her I’d appreciate that if I did end up wearing the dress. The biggest problem, though, is that the dress makes me look fat. It’s designed for slender girls – Ginny looks absolutely stunning in it, and I can imagine that Gabrielle will as well. (Although I’m curious to see how a 12 year old handles that low neckline. She’s a 12 year old part-Veela, though, so she can probably pull it off.) I’m willing to bet that Fleur’s other bridesmaids are petite little things too. But my waistline is nothing to brag about, and with my hips… I almost hope that Percy doesn’t show up, so I don’t have to wear it. That’s terrible of me, isn’t it? Oh well.

Harry and I were not at all surprised to find that the sleeping arrangements from last night were changed (one can always dream, though, right?), and I was moved into Percy’s old room. I was disappointed that we got hardly any alone time at all today. After spending a whole night and the entire following day with him yesterday, I suppose I’m spoiled. I’ll try to do something about that tomorrow. We did manage to take a walk around the garden tonight before we turned in, and he asked me how I was holding up. I told him I needed more hugs, and he did his best to accommodate me.

-0x0x0-

 

The Daily Prophet
Thursday, 17 July, 1997

Boy Who Lived Escapes Again!
by Rita Skeeter

Harry Potter has survived yet another encounter with He Who Must Not Be Named. In the late hours of Tuesday night, the use of magic was detected by the Ministry at the house of his muggle relatives. Aurors were dispatched to the scene, and arrived just as the confrontation ended.

According to a well-placed source at the Ministry, Mr. Potter and some companions were intercepted as they were leaving the home, which has long been rumored to have unusual protections on it to assure his safety. Because they had chosen to exit the premises by broomstick, this confrontation actually took place in the air above the house. It is reported that not only Mr. Potter, but also all of his companions escaped safely from the altercation, although this latter information has not been confirmed.

The Aurors on the scene did apprehend several Death Eaters, some of whom were seriously injured. One Auror, who spoke on the condition of complete confidentiality, confided that he had actually seen Mr. Potter and You Know Who exchange spells before You Know Who rejoined his followers. Mr. Potter himself then fled the scene.

Another Ministry spokesman stated that Mr. Potter will not be prosecuted for Underage Use of Magic, despite the fact that his birthday is not for another two weeks, since it was determined to be a circumstance of self-defence. There was some disagreement within the Ministry over this decision, as many mutterings were overheard about the inappropriateness of the Boy Who Lived receiving special treatment. (See related interviews on page 4)

This marks at least the fourth time that Mr. Potter has faced You Know Who and survived, beginning with the well-known episode that provided him with his fame and widely used nickname. Last year they met in the widely witnessed incident in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic, and as related in an exclusive interview with this reporter last year, they also confronted each other at the end of the Tri-Wizard Tournament in 1995. According to other claims made by Mr. Potter to this reporter, there have been one or two other encounters as well, although details of these are somewhat sketchy. (More information regarding these previous events may be found on pages 5 and 6.)

While this reporter (who in the interest of complete disclosure it must be acknowledged has a closer personal relationship with Mr. Potter than any other member of the press) extends her hearty congratulations to him for coming out of this most recent clash alive, others are not inclined to be so charitable. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that Mr. Potter should make more effort to avoid confrontations such as these, in the interest of the safety of the wizarding population as a whole. While it is apparently the case that no innocent bystanders were injured in Tuesday night’s incident, this can by no means be guaranteed for any future encounters. (Please see The Daily Prophet’s position on this issue on page 2.)

-0x0x0-

From the Journal of Hermione Granger - July 17

Some very surprising developments today! First was the article in the Daily Prophet, but following immediately on its heels was the invitation from the Minister of Magic. There were some interesting aspects to Rita’s story. First, it was relatively accurate, with no real exaggerations or half-truths (except perhaps for the part where she claimed to have a close personal relationship with Harry), which is very unusual for Rita. I think she might be trying to send a message of support to Harry, but is making it so subtle that no one else would catch it.

The other is the nature of the terms she used to describe the fight – encounter, confrontation, altercation, clash, exchange of spells. She made it sound more like a disagreement than an attempt by Voldemort to kill Harry. Everyone agrees that this was likely ordered by the editors of the Prophet and/or the Ministry, especially considering the editorial on page 2, which came close to blaming the whole thing on Harry. We fear that this could mean that the faction that is pushing for a negotiated settlement with Voldemort now has the upper hand, and is using propaganda like this to nudge the wizarding public more towards that point of view.

So, the bad news here outweighs the good. Now as for the invitation, that remains to be seen, but if our analysis of the Ministry balance of power is correct, this may be a last ditch attempt by Scrimgeour to stay in control. The carrot was an offer to let Harry take his Apparation Exam early, instead of having to wait until after his birthday. He still wouldn’t be officially allowed to apparate until after the 31st, but this way he could also avoid any unwanted attention, since no one else would know he was taking the exam. That aspect was quite appealing.

After some discussion, he decided to accept. He’ll go in with Mr. Weasley this evening after most Ministry workers have gone home. I wanted to accompany him, but was reminded that I was technically in violation of the Muggleborn Registration Act, so I could be taken into custody if I showed up at the Ministry. And there are definitely some people there who would be eager to get their hands on me. Ron will go with him, though, and take his exam as well.

Later –

They both passed. And the meeting with Scrimgeour went about as we had expected. Harry and I activated our mirrors right before he went into the Minister’s office, so I could listen in but not see anything. According to Harry, the change in the man since their last meeting on the day of Dumbledore’s funeral was quite pronounced. He’s clearly losing the power struggle in the Ministry, and Harry says he looked beaten down by it all.

His request was quite clear. He badly needs a public relations boost, and Harry’s surviving a direct attack by Voldemort, along with the rest of us, is a good opportunity for him. It counters the increasing fear that Voldemort’s victory is inevitable; that no one can stand up to him. And he can also point out the quick response of the Aurors, and the fact that a number of Death Eaters were captured.

Harry wanted to know exactly what he would have to do, and they eventually agreed that Harry would release a positive statement about the Aurors, and thank them for their timely assistance in the attack on him and his friends. He would also say how much he admired the job that Madame Bones had done in building up the force in response to the threat that Voldemort poses to our whole wizarding way of life. There are some subtle political points in this statement. First, since Scrimgeour was the Head of the Aurors under Bones, the praise reflects well on him. Second, by specifically not mentioning Thicknesse, it undercuts him to some extent. Third, it stresses that Voldemort is a threat to everyone , not just muggleborns, countering the recent propaganda to the contrary.

Harry wanted some assurances as well. First, that the Death Eaters that had been captured would be securely held. Scrimgeour responded that this was his highest priority as well, and noted that none of the Death Eaters captured at the Ministry a year ago had broken out, nor had the ones captured at Hogwarts last month. And according to him, it wasn’t for lack of trying on Voldemort’s part. Harry did take the opportunity to remind the Minister just who had been responsible for both of these captures.

Harry also wanted to know about Umbridge, and Scrimgeour finally admitted that it had been a mistake on his part to keep her on after he took over. But he claimed that it was too late to do anything about that now, as she was firmly entrenched in the power structure and with the current situation he didn’t have the political capital to move against her. Harry didn’t accept that, at least not completely, and he got Scrimgeour to agree to oppose any further moves against muggleborns and her other targets. If everything goes well, and Scrimgeour’s political fortunes begin to rise again as a result of this latest incident, he will be able to take her on more directly. We can only wait and hope for the best.

Harry excused himself for a few moments, and visited the loo to consult with me using the mirror. I told him he’d done very well, and I couldn’t think of anything else to add. I did have some suggestions for him for the wording of his statement, which he quickly scribbled down on some parchment. He and Scrimgeour are going to release separate statements, so it doesn’t look like a direct endorsement by Harry, but Harry’s praise for the Aurors will be in the public’s mind when Scrimgeour makes his plea for everyone to keep their spirits up and continue to oppose evil, citing Harry’s example.

When Harry returned from the Ministry I gave him a very sound hug (and later when we were alone I made it even more memorable). Tonks had escorted the three of them out of the Ministry, and came back to the Burrow with them, and she had some other interesting news.

The final count on the attack at Privet Drive is 3 Death Eaters killed and 8 captured (including Selwyn, the one impersonating Moody). Combined with the ones from the attack on Hogwarts, and the ones from the Ministry last year, they think Voldemort is seriously shorthanded. He’s running out of Death Eaters! There was quite a sense of relief at that news, since it means that we’re probably safe here at the Burrow for the time being.

She also informed us that Shacklebolt had discretely arranged to have the wand Harry captured from Voldemort scanned. It doesn’t match the signature of any wand the Aurors have on file, which includes every wand ever checked in at the Ministry of Magic. We concluded that it must have come from Ollivander’s stock of unsold wands that was captured along with him last summer. (And no, it’s not Ravenclaw’s wand, the one on display in the window, either.) Harry is becoming more convinced that Voldemort is quite concerned about the wand issue, to the point that he may become obsessed with it. Since Harry has that mental connection to Voldemort, and has been in his head so many times, I’ll defer to his opinion on that.

Overall, though, things seem to be looking up. I’m more optimistic than I’ve been at any time since Dumbledore died, although we do have a long way to go.

-xox-XOX-XOX-xox-

 

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

1)   Once again, there are some things that are almost, but not quite, direct quotes from Book 7. Those of you who have read the book may enjoy spotting them and noticing how I twisted some to change their implications.
 

2)   I don’t understand what JKR was trying to do with the stuff about wands in Book 7. It seemed to contradict everything we knew (e.g. — the wand chooses the wizard; unmatched wands don’t work well). The whole bit about being able to use the wand of someone you defeated would seem to have ridiculous implications if carried to an extreme. In this story, the only wand whose effectiveness is based on conquest of the previous owner is the Elder Wand. And the idea of Harry’s wand attacking Voldemort on its own volition completely baffles me. As you saw last chapter, that’s not happening in this story either.
 

3)   Regarding Hermione’s physical appearance: My Hermione does not look like Emma Watson. Unfortunately for the credibility of the movies, Emma is far too attractive to portray Hermione, who is supposed to be a plain looking girl. (Along those same lines, Bonnie Wright is not nearly attractive enough to play the Ginny that was described in Book 6.) My Hermione is a girl of average height and appearance — not the breathtaking beauty of so many fanfics. She, like nearly every teenage girl, is not completely happy with her figure. She certainly isn’t at all obsessed with it like some girls are, and most of the time she’s fine with it but on occasion (like trying on slinky dresses) it will bother her a little.

In my story, Fleur has a perfect figure in Hermione’s opinion (and pretty much everyone else’s too), so let’s say she has a 36 inch bust and a 24 inch waist. Hermione, by contrast, has a 34 inch bust and a 26 inch waist. Recall that she wrote in her journal (Chapter 15) that Fleur’s bust was more impressive than hers and that her waist was smaller. Hermione also thinks her hips are a bit on the large side. So when trying on a dress that’s designed for thin girls like Ginny, she’ll think she looks fat. (Note that Harry does not share this opinion.) Further data — I see Hermione as about 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighing about 120 to 125 pounds. Ginny is about 5 feet 2 inches tall, and about 100 pounds soaking wet.