Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next
Year 6 Chapter 4, Suspicious Behavior

Dear Hermione,

Have you heard the news? Amelia Bones was killed last night. Tonks got an emergency call about it. The whole DMLE’s in an uproar now. When she came back she was really down – says Madame Bones was the best administrator at the Ministry, and was really making a difference in the war. She thinks that’s why she was targeted. By killing her Voldemort is sending a message to the Ministry of Magic showing them what will happen if they oppose him. The rumor is that he killed her himself, and that she put up quite a fight.

I feel so awful about it. Not only losing another powerful ally for our side, but she’d taken a personal interest in me, and was one of the bright spots in my life. And of course there’s Susan, I feel bad for her too. I’m enclosing a sympathy note to her that I started. I couldn’t think of much to say but I reckoned you could. When you’re finished send it along to her with Hedwig from the both of us.

We went to Diagon Alley today to get our school supplies, and something interesting happened. Tell me what you think it means. We ran into Malfoy at Madame Malkins. He was being quite rude to her – that wasn’t the unusual part, of course – when he suddenly went spare. She’d grabbed the left sleeve of his robe to make some adjustment and he yelled at her and pushed her away. Then he and his mother stormed out of the shop.

OK, by itself that wasn’t too strange. But later, while we were in Fred and George’s new shop, we saw him sneaking off toward Knockturn Alley. Well, Ron and I looked around and saw that no one was looking, so we took off after him. Except Ginny noticed us and followed along, catching up just as we got to the entrance. We tried to get her to go back, but she got stubborn and said she wasn’t being left behind again. (Yeah, like the Department of Mysteries was some sort of adventure she’d missed out on.) Well, we stopped arguing with her and the three of us got under my cloak and followed him.

He went into Borgin and Burkes, who sell really dodgy stuff. Do you remember how I told you I saw Malfoy and his dad in there the summer before second year? Well, evidently he was there to buy something but they didn’t have what he wanted because he was arguing with the guy behind the counter. Then he pushed up his left sleeve and showed it to the man, who suddenly got a real scared look on his face. By that time Ginny had the Extendable Ears out. (You remember them? We used them at headquarters to try to listen in on conversations and meetings.) We heard him demanding that the guy, who turned out to be Borgin himself, fix something for him. Whatever it is was too big to carry around.

After he left, Ginny got the idea to go into the store herself. Before we could stop her she slipped out from under the cloak and dashed inside. There she claimed to be Malfoy’s girlfriend and wondered if he’d left anything behind. Except for the part where Ron almost lost his lunch thinking of her and Malfoy together (I had to agree with him on that one!) I was amazed that she almost pulled it off. That girl is scary. She can say anything with a straight face. She lied through her teeth to him without batting an eye. The only thing that tipped Borgin off was when he noticed her red hair and recognized her as a Weasley. I guess Mr. Weasley has raided Borgin and Burkes from time to time, so Weasleys aren’t too popular in that shop. She had to run for it as soon as he figured out who she was, and we all hightailed it back to Diagon Alley.

So, tell me what you think was going on there. Ron and I have been having a bit of a row over it. It probably didn’t help that I ribbed him about how convincing Ginny was as Malfoy’s girlfriend.

Here’s some other news. Several shops in the alley have either closed or been attacked, including Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor and Ollivander’s Wand Shop. Fred and George are doing fine, though. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff they were selling. There was a section of Defense things – Shield Hats, Cloaks, Gloves, Instant Darkness Powder, and Decoy Detonators for example. They gave me some of the Decoy Detonators; I reckon they might come in handy sometime.

Ginny bought something called a Pygmy Puff, some kind of miniature puffskein. She named it Arnold, but it looked to me like something Crookshanks or Hedwig would call ‘lunch’.

And they were also doing a bustling trade in ‘romance’ items, including love potions and daydream charms. Those put you into a 30-minute fantasy of your choice. You should have seen the girls swarming around that section of the store. Fred and George gave Ginny a hard time about it, saying they were absolutely not selling a love potion to their sister. I doubt they would have been too happy with the idea of her using one of those daydream charms either.

Of course, all my fantasies involve you, most of them including a beach and ‘swimming’ in the ocean. Every night I dream about those two weeks in France. I’m so glad we had that holiday together. It’s going to make this year loads more bearable.

I miss you.

Love,

Harry

-ooo -

Dear Harry,

I only have time for a quick note because we’re getting ready to leave. I’m back home now, getting my things together for Beauxbatons. I agree with you that losing Amelia Bones was a real tragedy. I finished the sympathy note to Susan, and Hedwig will take it along with this letter. It was very considerate of you to think of her like that.

About Malfoy, I assume you think the bit with his left arm was evidence that he might be a Death Eater. Actually, I’m having trouble figuring out which one of you doesn’t think he’s a Death Eater. From the way you worded your letter, I assume that you do. But I can’t imagine Ron not jumping at the opportunity to think badly of Malfoy! I would just caution you about jumping to conclusions. Remember how much trouble that got us into last year. The deductions we made about your dreams were perfectly logical, but we were working with incomplete information. But you should definitely keep an eye on him this year. What you said certainly seems suspicious.

It sounds like Fred and George have some pretty amazing products. I’m happy that they’ve become successful, even if it is in such an unorthodox way. Do they give you a discount? (Yes, I figured out where their startup money must have come from. Do you really think you could keep that from someone who knows you like I do? Don’t worry, I think it was very sweet of you.)

One thing you mentioned worries me though, and that’s the love potions. I think you need to be very careful this year. Despite what you think, you are quite fanciable, and lots of girls are going to be after you. And I won’t be there to protect my ‘interests’. It might be a good idea to have Dobby check your food. I laughed, though at the twins’ refusal to sell one to Ginny. If there’s any girl who doesn’t need a love potion it’s her. There are plenty of boys who want to date her. And she’s clever enough to figure out a way to get hold of one anyway, it she wanted to.


Hermione thought a moment, and then decided not to say any more about Ginny. Harry was certainly well aware of her long time crush on him, and there would be no point in bringing it up again. Besides, she trusted Ginny.
 

Got to go now. You really made me blush with that comment about your fantasies, but I’ve been having similar ones. Does your book pendant get warm at night? It should. I hold my snitch in my hand while I think of how much I love you.

I miss you.

All my love,

Hermione

-ooo-

Dear Hermione,

Well, the year started out with another adventure. Nothing too dangerous though, just the train ride with some interesting things happening. It started out normally enough, with our usual last-minute arrival at Kings Cross. We found a compartment and I hung out with Neville, Susan, and Luna while Ron went to the prefect meeting.


Once Ron had left the compartment, Harry was about to sit down when Susan appeared at the door. Without thinking about it, he crossed over to her and wrapped her up in a hug. Her eyes went wide momentarily, as this was quite out of the ordinary for the normally reserved Harry Potter, but then she closed them and sighed, accepting his condolences and comfort. For his part, this was the only girl Harry had ever hugged besides Hermione, and he couldn’t help but compare the experiences. Susan was … bigger … than Hermione, so that was different, but he decided he liked the way he and Hermione fit together better. And of course, not much could compare with the amount of enthusiasm Hermione put into her hugs, even when they had just been good friends.

“Susan, I’m so sorry,” Harry murmured softly. “If there’s anything I can do, let me know.”

“Thanks, Harry,” she acknowledged as they pulled apart, her eyes sparkling from the bit of moisture that had gathered and her warm feeling for him.

“I know it always sounds phony when people say it, but I think I can say that I know at least a bit how you’re feeling,” he continued. “If you ever want to talk about it, come see me.”

This heartfelt offer released some of the tears Susan had been holding back. Having had both his parents killed by Voldemort, as well as losing his godfather just a few months ago, certainly qualified him to make that claim.

“Thank you,” she repeated as she wiped her eyes. “And that was a lovely note you and Hermione sent.” Then she forced a smile and changed the subject. “She also asked me to keep an eye on you, since she’s not going to be here to keep you out of trouble.”

This was news to Neville and Luna, who had wondered why Hermione hadn’t come into the compartment with Harry and Ron. Susan sat down next to Harry, now offering him comfort in turn, as he filled their other two friends in on the details of Hermione’s absence. Neville told about getting his new wand, and revealed that his Gran had been proud of his actions at the Ministry. Luna announced that her father had been happy to have his suspicions about the Death Chamber confirmed, and informed them that the Quibbler was selling better than ever.

All the while there was a constant stream of students passing by, peering in through the windows at them. While Harry was used to living in a fishbowl, this celebrity was a new and unwelcome development for the others. Susan also noted that she was receiving quite a few glares from the girls, who observed how closely she was sitting next to Harry.

Soon Ron arrived with some news – Malfoy was no longer a prefect. Initially they hoped that it was because of his abusing the position the previous year, with his role in the Inquisitorial Squad, but Ron quashed that speculation by pointing out that Pansy Parkinson was still a prefect. That led to speculation about why Malfoy would voluntarily give up something so prestigious, and reminded Harry of their encounter with the blonde Slytherin in Diagon Alley. He wondered if the two items were related.

Just before lunch some scrolls were delivered by a blushing third year girl. Rolling his eyes at how annoying this adoration was getting already, and recalling Hermione’s warning, Harry turned away from her and opened the sealed parchment.

“It’s an invitation to lunch,” Neville announced in surprise. Harry looked up to see that Neville and Susan had also received one, but not Ron or Luna. “From someone called Professor Slughorn.”

Harry explained about meeting the portly wizard, and revealed his penchant for ‘collecting’ famous or potentially famous students.

“No surprises about why I’m not invited then,” snarked Ron with a sour expression. “Harry’s obvious, of course, and Susan because of her aunt (Harry winced a bit at the insensitivity of that remark, and moved his hand to give Susan’s arm a squeeze, which she acknowledged with a grateful glance) but …”

“… but I’m not famous!” Neville exclaimed, completing Ron’s analysis. Harry briefly wondered if Slughorn could possibly have known that Neville had ‘almost’ been the Boy Who Lived, but dismissed that thought.

“Is your gran important in wizarding society?” Harry suggested.

“I suppose,” Neville answered doubtfully. “I’ve never paid much attention to those sorts of things.” Susan then confirmed that this was in fact the case; as a girl, and being from a prominent family herself, she was more attuned to these sorts of things.

“Don’t worry Ronald, I’ll keep you company,” Luna asserted. Harry smiled as Ron’s face cycled through several emotions. His best mate was confused about what to make of Luna’s attentions. At the end of the past year he had begun to appreciate some of her qualities, but she was still … weird. He finally responded with an incomprehensible grunt of acknowledgment.

Once the trio reached Slughorn’s compartment, they found that the situation was exactly as Harry had speculated. The new professor spent the entire time sucking up to a group of students, none of whom Harry recognized except for Cormac McClaggen, a large seventh year Gryffindor, and Blaise Zabini, a good-looking, dark skinned sixth year Slytherin.

Harry personally was not impressed by any of them. What did it matter that Blaise’s mother was a famous beauty, or that someone’s uncle had invented something, or someone else’s grandfather was a personal friend of the Minister of Magic? As far as he was concerned, Neville and Susan (and Ron and Luna too, for that matter) were important on their own merits, and were deservedly famous for their role at the Department of Mysteries, not because of her aunt or his gran. After all, the six of them had contributed to the capture of a dozen Death Eaters. That was worth being impressed about. He did find it interesting, however, that Malfoy apparently was not among the invitees.

Eventually Slughorn ran out of hot air and dismissed them to return to their carriages. As Harry spotted Zabini returning to the Slytherin compartment, he had an idea.

“Neville,” he whispered as he disappeared under his invisibility cloak. “I’m going to try to find out what’s going on with Malfoy. Come by his compartment and make a scene if I’m not back in half an hour.”

“Sure,” Neville replied, feeling a bit foolish at talking to an empty corridor.

“Does this sort of thing happen a lot?” Susan queried as they resumed the trek to their own compartment.

“More often than you might think,” Neville responded. “I learned my lesson to just go along with it, or at least not interfere, all the way back in first year.” He then related the tale of being petrified by Hermione when he tried to stop the trio from going after the Philosopher’s Stone. By the time he finished Susan was in stitches. She had wondered what he had done to earn the points that had won Gryffindor the House Cup that year.

As they neared their compartment, they passed one in which Ginny and Dean were wrapped in a passionate embrace, unconcerned with the rest of the world while they thoroughly explored each other’s mouths. Susan noted how Neville stiffened at the sight, and heard him mutter, “Good thing Ron didn’t see that.”

Realizing that there was more to her friend’s distress than concern about the pretty red-haired girl being found out by her brother, Susan asked quietly, “You have a crush on her, don’t you?” Neville did not answer, but his red face responded for him. “You can bide your time and wait if you want to,” she suggested. “She does go through boyfriends rather quickly. And the one she really wants is already taken, you know.” This time Neville responded with a shrug. He knew that everything Susan was saying was true.

“There’s another alternative, though,” she continued. This finally got him to look up at her questioningly. “There are other girls available. And some of them might be interested in you.” The questioning look on Neville’s face turned to surprise, and then to shock as she took his hand and laced her fingers into his. Then they both turned away from each other, looking straight ahead as they resumed their walk, somehow moving more slowly than they had been before. Their hands stayed together. And even though they weren’t looking at each other, each was aware of the shy smile on the other’s face.

‘Hmm,’ Susan thought to herself. ‘I’m going to have something else interesting to tell Hermione about in my next letter.’

Precisely thirty minutes later, Ron and Neville appeared outside the Slytherin compartment.

“What do you two losers want?” Malfoy sneered as the door opened.

“We missed your annual visit, Malfoy, and the words of wisdom you always have for us,” Ron declared with a smirk. Malfoy stood, and wands appeared in the hands of his six Slytherin classmates who shared the compartment with him.

“In case you haven’t noticed, Weasel, you are outnumbered this time,” Malfoy taunted. “You don’t even have famous Potter to save you. What’s he doing, crying over his lost Mudblood?” Hermione’s absence had evidently been noted and the infamous Hogwarts gossip network had spread this information throughout the train by now.

Malfoy’s sneer disappeared as ten DA members filled the corridor, led by Susan Bones. After the two sides glared at each other for a while, the two Gryffindors backed out of the hostile compartment, and the group eventually dispersed. In the confusion, there was no chance that anyone would have noticed the black-haired youth under the invisibility cloak slip out with them.
 

Now, I know you’re probably worried about what might have happened, but I think I had it all under control. You probably thought I’d get caught and have the snot kicked out of me, right? Anyway, from what Malfoy was saying, he’s definitely up to something. He didn’t come right out and tell them, but he implied that he was on a special mission from Voldemort. Of course, that could have just been him bragging, but don’t you agree that it’s significant that he gave up his prefect position?

Anyway, after that excitement the opening feast and the sorting were pretty normal. The only big news is that Snape’s the new DADA professor and Slughorn’s teaching potions. I had a feeling he wasn’t going to be the Defense teacher, but I can’t believe Dumbledore gave it to Snape. And that used to be my favorite class. Well not last year, obviously, but before that it was. Several people have already asked me if we’re going to do the DA again, but I don’t know. I’m not sure I can lead it well enough without you to help me figure out what to cover. What do you think?

Hagrid told us that Grawp’s living in a cave up in the mountains now, instead of in the forest. He says he’s much happier there. I bet the centaurs are even happier! But that reminded me that with all that happened this summer I haven’t really given much thought to what classes I’m taking this year. Last spring I signed up for Defense, Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology, and Potions, but I knew I probably wouldn’t get the O I needed to get into NEWT Potions, and I didn’t. So maybe I should take Care of Magical Creatures instead? Hagrid would be devastated if neither Ron or I took it.

Oh, I almost forgot. I’m the Gryffindor quidditch captain this year! Katie and I have been on the team the longest, and I figured McGonagall would give it to Katie since I was banned last year, but Katie didn’t want it. I almost think it should go to Ron, though, since he knows a lot more quidditch strategy than I do. But I’m going to give it a go. He’s already pretty busy with being prefect. Of course, as you might expect, I also got my Firebolt back. I’m going to have to take it out tomorrow and make sure it’s still up to snuff.

Mentioning quidditch reminded me of the snitch I gave you. I bet it will be warm tonight, because I’ll be thinking of you a lot. And yes, I’ve noticed when my book pendant gets warm. It helps me remember how much I love you.

I miss you.

Love,

Harry

-ooo-

Dear Harry,

Whatever am I going to do with you? You have no idea how much I worry about you, being there without me to watch you and keep you out of trouble. That’s been my job practically since the day I met you, you know. I feel so helpless here! Please promise me you’ll be careful.

I am glad that you took a bit of time to plan your little foray into the serpents’ den instead of just rushing right in without thinking. I cringe when I think what could have happened if they’d caught you. I doubt if they would have killed you, but I wouldn’t have put it past them to hex you severely or beat you unconscious.

I’m becoming more convinced that you are right that Malfoy is up to something. I can’t think of any other explanation for his actions. The bragging is not that unusual, but giving up his prefect position is hard to believe. It’s possible that he’s doing something sinister for his father, instead of for Voldemort, but really that’s practically the same thing. Is Ron convinced yet?

I heard from Susan too, and she included some things you just glossed over in your letter. That was very sweet of you, offering to be there for her like that. And you are far too modest about your accomplishments. I agree with you that honors should be based on the student’s own accomplishments. But you deserved to be in that luncheon, more than anyone in the compartment, based on what you’ve done since you came to Hogwarts, never mind what happened when you were one.

Somehow, from what you told me about Professor Slughorn, I’m not surprised that he’s teaching Potions and Snape’s teaching Defense. I have mixed feelings about that. Snape is certainly knowledgeable about Defense against the Dark Arts, perhaps more than anyone besides Dumbledore. But whether he will actually teach you anything, instead of just tormenting and insulting you every period, remains to be seen. I’m hoping for the best.

As far as the DA is concerned, I think you should continue it, at least in some form. Would it still have to be secret? If you call it a study group Snape can hardly complain about it. And don’t sell yourself short. You were great at teaching! If you like, we can still discuss what to cover through these letters. Another benefit of the group was the camaraderie that developed among the members. The inter-house cooperation was wonderful.

I understand what you’re saying about possibly taking Care of Magical Creatures with Hagrid. I don’t know what to suggest; I mostly feel that you should select courses for academic reasons. Perhaps you’re right, though.

Congratulations on being quidditch captain! I only saved this till now because I’m going through your letter point by point. I’m so proud of you! You’re such a good teacher and leader, I just know Gryffindor will win the Cup again this year. I’m only sorry I won’t be there to cheer you on. I never missed a single one of your games, you know, and I was always there just to root for you (and to help keep you alive, remember).

OK, let me tell you a bit about how things are going here. I’m taking the same courses I would have back at Hogwarts, or their equivalents – Charms, Transfiguration, Defense, Potions, Herbology, Ancient Runes, and Arithmency. I think the language problem will be manageable. Arithmency should be little problem, since we’re dealing mostly with numbers, and Ancient Runes are the same in any language. All spells are in Latin anyway, so incantations won’t be an issue. Potions will be the most difficult, since I have to learn new words for all the ingredients.

We had our first day of classes today, and everything’s official – I’m considered to be in seventh year and am going for my NEWTs at the end of the year. At Hogwarts we have that year after OWLs to relax a bit, but here they just continue straight on to NEWTs. (You don’t have to say it – I know even if I were there I’d be starting to study for NEWTs already this year. I just can’t help myself.) Hopefully it will be a good way to counter my loneliness; I can lose myself in my studying.

Not that I’m not fitting in here or anything like that. In fact, I ran into someone I knew! Remember Sally-Anne Perks? She was sorted right before you were first year, into Hufflepuff. She’s a muggleborn, and left Hogwarts after our second year, because of those attacks. Some officials from the Ministry came to her house and told her family she needed to be trained in her magic, or they’d have to Obliviate her. Her only other choice was to transfer to another wizarding school, so here she is. It’s nice to have a fellow countryman here. She helps me with my French, too, since she can always figure out what I’m trying to say in English and translate it for me. And Gabrielle is sort of my unoffical mascot. With no house tables, students can eat anywhere they want, although they tend to stay with their own years. But Gabrielle has sat beside me at every meal so far. She’s taking very seriously her vow to help me out however she could. She’s so cute!

The other girls are OK as well. It’s a bit overwhelming at first. There are at least twice as many students here as at Hogwarts, which means something like 40 to 50 witches just in my year. We all live together in a long corridor on the top floor, 2 to a room. Since the bathrooms are communal, that means that there are constantly witches running around in their underwear in the mornings. That’s something else I discovered right away. French witches are nowhere near as modest as English witches! And their lingerie is something else. Think about the tiniest bikinis you saw on the beach in the Riviera, only lacier, and you’ll have a good picture of what I’m talking about. Not that I want you dwelling on that picture, mind you!

As you might expect, all of them have heard of you, and many have also heard of me. The ones that have know I’m your friend, but few of them know I’m your girlfriend. I think I should keep that to myself as much as possible. I might need to create a boyfriend, though, to fend off any attention from guys (if that even happens), and to explain all the letters I’ll be getting (right?). I’m thinking of calling him Henry, since that’s pretty close to Harry in case I slip up. You can choose your last name.

It also occurs to me that perhaps we ought to charm these letters so no one else can read them, in case Hedwig gets intercepted. Can you get Remus or Tonks to teach you the spell that Sirius used to charm your letter last Christmas?

Even though I’m fitting in as well as can be expected, it’s nothing like being with you. I’m thinking of counting down the days. 1 down, 302 to go.

I miss you.

All my love,

Hermione

-ooo-

Dear Hermione,

Guess what? I’m in Potions! It turns out that requiring an O to continue was Snape’s rule, not Slughorn’s. McGonagall told me that on the first day of classes, and the next thing I knew I was back down in the dungeons. And I’m pretty good at it. I actually won a prize for best potion!

OK, before you wonder which Ravenclaw is forging this letter to you, I’ll explain. When we first entered the room, there were NEWT level potions in cauldrons scattered about, and Slughorn asked us to identify them. The first one was Polyjuice, which I knew (thanks to you!) and the second was Veritaserum. I didn’t get it right away, but after he told us what it was I recognized it. Then cameAmortentia, for which the odor was supposed to be the clue. (No one figured it out, but I bet you would have.) He passed a sample around for us to smell – it’s supposed to be different for everyone, according to what attracts us. I smelled my quidditch broom, treacle tart, and something that reminded me of the beach in France. I think it might have been something in the sunscreen. I found myself wondering what things you would smell. I’m pretty sure books would have been one of them.

Since neither Ron or I had a Potions book, because we didn’t think we’d be in the class, Slughorn loaned us some from the storeroom. Well, mine had writing all over it – notes and corrections to the procedures. When it came time to make the day’s potion, Draught of Living Death, I used some of the altered instructions. One of them was a different way to cut up some of the ingredients, and the other was a change in stirring. (I don’t think I’ll ever understand Potions. What in Merlin’s name does it matter which direction you stir it?)

Anyway, it came out perfect. I think the book must have belonged to some Potions prodigy, who figured out how to improve the procedure. What do you think?

The result was that Slughorn now thinks I’m a star Potions student. I wish! He said I must take after my mum, who apparently was a wiz at Potions. (Did I tell you that he told me this summer that my mum was one of his favorite students? He made a comment about her being a muggleborn, and I told her that my best friend was also a muggleborn, and was the best student in our year.) He was disappointed that you aren’t here this year. He probably was thinking of adding you to his ‘collection’. He’s already started inviting me to these parties he hosts every couple of weeks, but I put him off because of quidditch practice.

Oh, I almost forgot. The prize I won was a vial of Felix Felicis, also called liquid luck. I’m thinking of saving it for when I have to battle Voldemort. Maybe it could be ‘the power he knows not’?

Thinking of that, I haven’t told the prophecy to anyone but you yet. Do you think I should tell Ron? Anyone else?

Because I’m in Potions, I have a decision to make about Care of Magical Creatures. I’m now taking 5 classes, and that would make 6. I know 6 would be no problem for you, but I’ve got quidditch and possibly some sort of revised DA to consider too. On the other hand, Hagrid’s class isn’t exactly very difficult.

Responding to what you wrote, I don’t remember anything about Sally-Anne. I didn’t even know which year she left. I’m glad that Gabrielle’s ‘taking care’ of you.

You are so evil, teasing me like that about your dormmates’ underwear! I certainly do remember some of the bikinis on the beach last month, but the one I remember the best is that sexy little one you wore. Remember that last day? I sure do!

Oh yeah, you definitely need to claim to have a boyfriend! Wouldn’t want those French or Italian guys to sweep you off your feet! Henry’s fine. I thought about using something clever like Evans or Porter for the last name, but decided they were too obvious. Let’s go with something simple like Smith or Jones.

With regard to Malfoy, Ron’s coming around, but he says the real proof will be if Malfoy gives up quidditch. I think he was kidding, but I’m not sure.

I’ll talk to Tonks about how to charm the letters the next time I see her. Even though Madame Bones isn’t around any more, she’s still assigned to Hogsmeade. I sent her a note this afternoon. I’m not sure where Remus is, but maybe she’ll be able to get in touch with him.

Well, that’s quite a bit for the first day of classes! I’m off to bed as soon as I give this to Hedwig. It shouldn’t be too hard for you to figure out what I’ll be dreaming about tonight.

I miss you.

Love,

‘Henry’

-ooo-

Dear Harry,

I don’t think I need to use your pretend name in my letters, since no one here will see them. But Henry Jones is fine. Just to make it more interesting, Henry Jones, Jr.

That Potions book of yours makes me nervous. I don’t need to remind you what happened to Ginny. You don’t really know what sort of charms or enchantments might be on it. Here’s something I’d like you to try. Tap your wand on the cover and say ‘Specialis Revelio’. That should reveal hidden charms. And please be careful about using unknown instructions. I know it worked out that time, but I don’t want you getting hurt if a potion explodes on you. At least be ready with a Protego spell when you try something.

It’s not to say that I’m not proud of you for winning the prize, or that the Felix Felicis might not come in handy, but well, it wasn’t really your own ability, right? You know, if you get an undeserved reputation for potions brilliance Slughorn will be even more interested in you.

OK, I guess I’ve expressed my reservations well enough. Please promise me you’ll be careful?

With regard to the potions identification, you’re right, I would have guessed the Amortentia. Besides the fragrance, there should also have been a mother of pearl sheen to the surface. As far as what you smelled in it, the ingredient you’re thinking of in sunscreen is cocoa butter. Every time I smell that it reminds me of the beach too.

I think that might also be one of my three things. Especially because it reminds me of you making me feel all tingly by rubbing it into my back. And legs. And … (See, my memory of that last day is just as good as yours!) You are right that the smell of books would probably be one of my things, but I’m not sure what the other would be. My broomstick has some pretty happy thoughts associated with it too, all of them involving flying with you.

I’ve had all of my classes at least once now, except for Defense. I was starting to get really nervous about how I’m going to manage all the work, but today a few of us formed a study group. It was a bit strange the way it came about. I’m still getting used to how things work socially around here, as well as the way the girls dress.


Hermione followed her roommate Michelle into her room and watched as the girl pulled her robes off over her head and flopped into a chair. She was still having trouble getting used to the casual attitude toward clothing here. In September in southern France it was quite warm; to her relief the robes they wore were seasonal, and the summer style actually had short sleeves. She mused to herself that someone like Malfoy would certainly have difficulty disguising his dark mark at Beauxbatons. Many of the girls, however, wasted no time in removing even this lightweight garment once in the privacy of their rooms. And nearly all of them wore only undergarments beneath, so her roommate was currently lounging in a lacy bra and knicker set. Hermione herself was still too shy for that, and wore either a light camisole or a tank top, paired with tap pants or running shorts, under her borrowed silk robes.

Something outside caught Michelle’s attention. Jumping up, she dashed over to the window and leaned out. “Jean-Claude!” she called out. Who’s your friend?”

“Giovanni,” he returned, as both boys stopped to look up at the partially clad witch hanging out of the seventh floor window. From her point of view, Hermione was getting a clear and unobstructed look at her roommate’s barely covered bum. It didn’t seem that it could be very comfortable, with that thin strip of lace that disappeared between her legs, and Hermione wondered if it was an acquired taste.

“Come up here, I want to introduce you to my new roommate,” the outgoing young witch insisted. To Hermione’s relief, Michelle then threw on some conservative shorts and a sleeveless blouse, which she tied at the bottom around her midriff, just below her breasts. She also left the buttons undone, which revealed the lacy edge of her bra, not to mention a healthy bit of cleavage.

When the boys arrived, they were met in the hallway and introductions exchanged. Each male in turn took Hermione’s hand and bent to kiss it, lingering long enough to give her figure a thorough inspection, even though her tank top wasn’t nearly as revealing as Michelle’s blouse. She belatedly realized that her running shorts exposed a lot more leg than her roommate’s mid thigh-length shorts did. Then the foursome made their way down to one of the lounges, picking up the pair of girls in the next room as well, Brigitte and Thérèse.

Remarkably, by the time they reached the lounge, Jean-Claude and Giovanni had managed to ascertain the dating status of each of the four girls. Michelle – available, Brigitte – dating a guy, but not serious, Thérèse – just broke up and taking some time off dating (which would later turn out to be two weeks) and Hermione – seriously dating a boy named Henry back home, to the obvious disappointment of the French and Italian wizards.

“Henri?” asked Brigitte, who was one of the girls who knew of Hermione’s background. “Not Harry Potter?”

“Harry and I are good friends,” Hermione clarified.

This led to several minutes of inquiries, for the most part polite and not overly invasive, as they could see Hermione’s reluctance to dominate the conversation. Eventually the talk turned to their classes, and the six discovered that they all had Charms and Transfiguration, and there were at least four of them in each of the other classes. After some discussion of days and times, they finally all agreed on a time to study together on a regular basis.

Relieved, Hermione then joined them for a stroll on the grounds so that they could help her get familiar with the place. They ended up on a quidditch practice field, and Jean-Claude and Brigitte brought up Harry again. Apparently his performance in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, particularly the first task, had acquired legendary status at Beauxbatons. More relaxed now, Hermione regaled them with some of the things that Harry had done over the years on the quidditch pitch that had driven her mad with worry. By the end of her tales, noting the glow on her face and the warmth in her eyes as she talked about her best friend, the three other girls knew very well who Henri really was, but were content to keep the confidence of their new friend.


So, things are looking up here in terms of classes, and I’ve made some friends. Nothing like you and Ron, though. Speaking of Ron, I do think you should tell him the prophecy. Probably Neville too. I’m not sure of Ginny, since she’s younger and not quite as mature. She’d probably be all right, I suppose, but you decide. Only if you’re completely comfortable with it. Another possibility is Susan. She hasn’t really been part of our group that long, but she’s certainly loyal. Luna – well, again, I don’t know what to think about Luna. The way she seems to say whatever pops into her head would argue against it, but I have a suspicion that the things she says aren’t as random as they appear to be.

Let me know how Defense goes, and what you decide about Care. I’ve got two essays to write tonight and then I’ll turn in. I’ll be dreaming about you tonight too.

I miss you.

All my love,

Hermione

-xox-XOX-XOX-xox-

 

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

1)   Ginny’s ability to lie convincingly is noticed by Harry in canon. It makes sense that she would do better in Borgin and Burkes than Hermione did in the published book 6.
 

2)   My Harry is going to continue to be smarter about things than canon Harry, as evidenced by the incident in the Slytherin compartment.
 

3)   Anyone recognize Harry’s pseudonym, Henry Jones, Jr?
 

4)   The names of the students at Beauxbatons were chosen from an online list of common French and Italian names. And from my memories of visits to Club Med, where half the GO’s seemed to be named Michel or Jean-Claude.
 

5)   I haven’t figured out how Harry’s going to use the Decoy Detonators yet, but they sounded interesting, so I’ll try to come up with something.
 

6)   Despite what is generally accepted in fanfiction, Susan is not an orphan in canon and she is not one in my stories either.